bugs on people please answer!!

whatsup chickenbutt

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Im just curious, is there any possible way that humans can get any of the bugs that chickens get? whenever i go into the coop i always get a bad case of the creepy crawlys, although ive never seen anything, im hoping its psychological...
sickbyc.gif

Like was said, lice and mites are generally species specific, but sometimes will climb on a hand and move around looking for a bird. They'll die and can't reproduce on you, but if your birds have mites, you could get some itchies from them until you wash your hands. Mites are tiny, dust sized things. Hard to see, but can give you the itchies. Lice are bigger, you'd know if you saw one.

Yes deffinatly wash your hands my chickens had them and I was stupid and didn't realize it and my hedgehog got it their gone now.

thanks, so are they microscopic? can you see them at all?
and what do you do with sevin? I saw that people put it on their birds, but can i sprinkle it in their coop or is that not safe? and can i use it just as a precautionary measure, or should i confirm that they have something? Like i said before, i dont have any reason to suspect that they do, other than, they are birds, live in a coop, and their are a lot of flies, so Im assuming there are other things as well.

I found mites (feather mites) on a chicken when I had a fecal done. When they preen they swallow stuff and it can pass in their poo. You can't see any features/detail with the naked eye, you just see whitish dust that moves if you watch long enough. If you have a black chicken and stare closely at dust on the feathers you may see mites moving around.

Back
Top Bottom