Build a better roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kitchencoup, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Bobby Basham

Bobby Basham Crowing

Jul 20, 2012
    Tucson, Arizona
    How far does that tray extend outward from the wall, and how high is the roost centered above the tray? The depth outward looks like enough so that the chickens' faces and/or butts aren't pushed up against the wall.

I like the fact that it looks permanent and not wasting PDZ when you clean it out. Just scoop out the droppings? I bought some extra pieces of wood before I do my final installation and was debating about a poop tray. --BB

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    The tray is 24" deep, the roost in the middle (12"). It is about 8" high. With the roost that height, all poop is well inside the tray. Also if you look at the second picture, there is a 2 x 3 on the wall above the roost, I lift the roost up on both sides so it's totally out of my way when I scoop.

20180127_094700.jpg

Bobby Basham likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My birds tend to fly to the three foot high roosts, and then up eight feet. In the other section, they fly right up to the eight ft. high rafters with no middle steps. In the morning, they all fly down.
    Different birds like different locations, and I have a lot of roost space, so everyone can pick their best spot.
    Mary

Bobby Basham likes this.
  4. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I don’t even have a ladder - they easily just fly up and down

5. Bobby Basham

Bobby Basham Crowing

Jul 20, 2012
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks so much! I believe I may use a smaller adaptation of this design for my small coop. It's only 6x6 feet.

I also like how those nest boxes are snuggled out of the way toward the corner. Should offer a lot of privacy for them.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some pics of your current coop and roosts would help.

I use poop boards too.
    [​IMG]

Have extra roosts for younguns, this end of coop is partitioned off with a temp wire wall(not shown here) for brooding and integrating new chicks.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Basham likes this.
  7. Kitchencoup

Kitchencoup In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    What is PDZ board, is it expensive, does Lowe’s carry it?
    Is that sand on the board or is the board bare?
    I like this design. Especially because now I can run the roost all the way from one side to the other by going over top of the nesting boxes! Thank you for your help

8. Kitchencoup

Kitchencoup In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    This thread is the first I’ve seen poop boards. What a good idea! Hadn’t thought about a separate roost for the chickletts either but now I will! Thank you!

9. Bobby Basham

Bobby Basham Crowing

Jul 20, 2012
    Tucson, Arizona
    PDZ is the material that you use to sprinkle on the poop boards, originally meant for horse stalls. I'm not sure if it has the consistency of sand, but the Feed stores usually carry it. It's like using kitty litter.

10. Nardo

Nardo Free Ranging

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    It's a board with PDZ on it. Look here http://www.sweetpdz.com/chick.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: