Build Stairs To Let Chicks In & Out or Just Let Them Wander?

slackercsb

Hatching
May 6, 2020
I've decided to raise my 12 Buff Opringtons in a 9x9' barn stall for now. They are about 8 weeks old and seem to like it, but I also want to get them outdoors and learn to free range. The stall is surrounded by chicken wire to keep them in with a gate to get in and out, and a window that is about 5' up. The gate opens up to a cement floor and a sliding barn door is to the left of that which leads to a driveway and beyond that the rest of the farm. The window is on the opposite side of the gate, and leads directly out into a pasture (no other animals currently). My thought process was if I could build a ramp, or set of stairs up to the window that the chicks could come and go as they wanted and I just close up that window at dusk to avoid predators - it would be a more direct path to the grass than having them walk out through (or wander around) the barn, on the concrete, through the driveway and then into the green. Would they come and go on those stairs? Am I overthinking this and should just open the gate and let them come and go? I appreciate any thoughts or advice for this chicken newbie! Thanks!

I've decided to raise my 12 Buff Opringtons in a 9x9' barn stall for now. They are about 8 weeks old and seem to like it, but I also want to get them outdoors and learn to free range. The stall is surrounded by chicken wire to keep them in with a gate to get in and out, and a window that is about 5' up. The gate opens up to a cement floor and a sliding barn door is to the left of that which leads to a driveway and beyond that the rest of the farm. The window is on the opposite side of the gate, and leads directly out into a pasture (no other animals currently). My thought process was if I could build a ramp, or set of stairs up to the window that the chicks could come and go as they wanted and I just close up that window at dusk to avoid predators - it would be a more direct path to the grass than having them walk out through (or wander around) the barn, on the concrete, through the driveway and then into the green. Would they come and go on those stairs? Am I overthinking this and should just open the gate and let them come and go? I appreciate any thoughts or advice for this chicken newbie! Thanks!
I think a ramp would be easier for them than stairs. Im new to this myself so I wouldn't put too much weight in my opinion. That being said its sounds like a great set up to me.😊

I think I recall someone else on here doing something similar, where the chicken door was a window in a barn, and they had ramps or steps on both sides.

IIRC they also had trouble getting the chickens to use said exits to get in and out. Pretty sure you can train them to it but it might take a bit of work, and a lot of treat bribery.

Back
Top Bottom