Building a 6x16ft Lean to Chicken Run

ninamarie8253

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
North New Jersey
Hey guys, I've built things before like furniture, but never something this large. We want to construct a 6ft x 16ft fenced in lean-to chicken run with a roof for 4-6 chickens. I've got 17x 8ft pressure treated 2x4's leftover from a project of mine, I'd really love to use them for the roof of our coop - but does that mean it won't be strong enough to withstand the New Jersey snow come winter time? We're just trying to keep costs down, while also building something that will last a decade.

We're going to position this along our white picket back fence (and behind that are woods), so that will help block some of the wind.
Here's what I've got so far. Using 4x4's as the outer frame, 2x4's as the 'studs', 7/16" plywood for the roof and backwall (is that ok?), and questioning the amount of/size of the trusses (either my 2x4 leftovers or 2x6's). Lean to pitch would be 3:12. Then corregated metal ontop of the plywood on the roof.

See attached. Let me know what I need to add or if I can can take anything away if its over kill? Thank you!!

Attachments

• chickencoopdesign_M1.jpg
    chickencoopdesign_M1.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 68374812260__D6F9C165-F056-46A5-ABC1-1CDAF5304EDC.jpg
    68374812260__D6F9C165-F056-46A5-ABC1-1CDAF5304EDC.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 120
  • RenderedImage (3).jpg
    RenderedImage (3).jpg
    519 KB · Views: 120
if for some reason we run into a problem with the back of the lean to roof not being able to go over the fence, that would be bad to have the snow pileup at the foot of the base of the fence right infront of it right?
Who owns that fence?
Who owns the land on the other side of the fence?
Also be aware that rain water coming off the roof could cause issues.

I would not put it up against the fence. Fence will stay wet longer because it's covered, lack of sun, causing issues down the road. Rain running off the roof on the back side is going to hit the ground and splash on the fence causing more issues down the road. Replacing or maintenance on the fence is going to be a PITA.

Hey guys, I'm back to say thank you for all of the advice you guys gave me in helping me to finalize my design plans for building my DIY Chicken coop. I am so proud of how it turned out, and so glad I listened about using galvanized metal roofing!! So far this is keeping them dry from storms, and safe from predators (to which we've had 2x fox and racoon visits thus far with no casualties).

I filmed the entire behind the scenes process for you guys to see!!

I also made building plans for anyone who wants to copy this in the future:
https://ninamarievisuals.gumroad.com/l/chickenrun

Thank you all again for allowing me to bounce ideas off of and provide suggestions on how to make this better/smarter :)

IMG_5006.jpg

Ah I just read what you wrote, hm at the rafters there is a a 5.5” gap, I checked out other builds that didn’t have it, and I’m not sure anything would get up to there at 8ft high?
i lost two chickens because a raccoon climbed in the exact same type of gap in my coop that i was just too lazy to cover up after it was built.

my roof line is 8+ feet off the ground. they will definitely get in eventually.

I agree! But right now I made a raised bed, and I gave us about 10ft out from the fence line from where one of the beds are placed, so if we did a 6ft wide coop, that allows us 4ft walking infront. If I moved the run 3ft from the fence, well it would give us practically no room infront of it to walk. So I'll prob need to put that plywood at the back of the wall of the run a few feet from the ground to account for poop catching!

KK So self-tapping screws (hex hed) using my impact driver. Got it. Hopefully metal is OK for under trees in NJ. The towns rules are 50ft from any property line, which I should be because I'm using the corner of our house that shares township swamp lands, and then maybe a few hundred feet over there are houses again :)

Also Q - if for some reason we run into a problem with the back of the lean to roof not being able to go over the fence, that would be bad to have the snow pileup at the foot of the base of the fence right infront of it right?

Do I NEED a 4x4 outer frame? Or can I get away with using 2x4s anywhere that I have 4x4s? Just trying to see what I can do to save money :)

Is OSB 7/16 in. Sheathing Panel Plywood ok to use on the roof and back wall? Depending on how far the spacing needs to be for purlins, its almost the same price. How far apart do perlins need to be spaced? And the 2x6s for trusses - is 20" ok?

Can I build the frame right ontop of flattened out gravel? Do I need any sort of a concrete footer? Hoping not...

Thank you guys! We are going to buy the wood I think tomorrow and start next week!

Last edited:
I too am not sure about the proximity to the fence, but overall your basic design looks fine to me. I think you need to get into the details at this point in order to choose your lumber.

For example I would personally want a 2x6 (or sistered 2x4s) supporting the rafters, due to the snow load potential. Then I’d probably want that top beam lap jointed into the vertical supports so there’s wood underneath it for strength. That may mean keeping the 4x4 corners or at least two 2x4s in an “L” shape - I would not use a single 2x4 in the corners on a structure like this.

The bottom of the structure looks like it sits on top of the ground. Swapping out the bottom 4x4s for 2x4s I would say depends on what your actual plans are for the foundation. For example if you’re using a foundation like spaced apart supports (ex: elephant foot blocks) you’ll want the 4x4s for the strength as it’s not fully supported, and again everything is going to be supporting a roof covered in snow. Single 2x4 would only be ok with full support foundation.

The fence seems to present issues for me. First, can you legally build that close to the edge of the property? I’m sure you could get away with it for a while….until someone notices and says something. If you have the coop tight against the fence you’ll never be able to get in between there - but you know who can? Rodents, weeds, accumulation of debris, etc. If you space it away, then now your roof potentially dumps everything down onto the fence and you interfere with those raised garden beds…..

yes its in the far corner of the yard, farthest away from where we share property with our neighbors, along the woods. What would u do though, the taller metal roof lean to structure for an extra $250 (the roofing is expensive), or the flat metal wire at 6-7ft tall thats gona let snow through etc?
If I could afford it, metal roofing.

Back
Top Bottom