Building a coop for my Grandma "UPDATED"

Great job, I'm sure your grandma is going to be excited about what you've done for her.
yippiechickie.gif

Don't kick yourself because you made it sturdy. Now it will last a long time. Hopefully you won't have to move it too far, though.

It would be really nice if you put a rooster wind vane on top of the coop/barn.

Putting legs on it to have a run underneath is a good idea. The coop can provide shade for the chickens.

Has there been a decision about what type of chickens your grandmother wants, and when do you plan to get the chickens?

We don't have to move it all that far, about 20 or 30 yards to get it to the truck. Then once we get it to grannies another 5 to 10 yards. I thought about the wind vane but don't have the money to get one right now unless I try to make one. I think I am going to get her a few different breeds I know one will be domonique and I think I will get her a buff orpington and RIR and one more hen. She also wants one rooster but I am not sure what breed yet. Once I find somewhere to get them where I know im getting pullets. I will keep them until they are old enough to go into the coop.

That coop is soooo stinkin' ADORABLE!!! I love it!!! Great job on painting in the "trim"-- that really makes it look fabulous! You did an excellent job! Can't wait to see how it looks on-site.
big_smile.png

I thought about the wind vane but don't have the money to get one right now unless I try to make one. I think I am going to get her a few different breeds I know one will be domonique and I think I will get her a buff orpington and RIR and one more hen. She also wants one rooster but I am not sure what breed yet. Once I find somewhere to get them where I know im getting pullets. I will keep them until they are old enough to go into the coop.

I looked at the wind vanes, and some of them are expensive. Here is a rooster wind vane for $49.95 plus shipping. http://www.gardenfun.com/rooster-weather-vane.html

You might check Craigslist to get some laying hens. I know they cost more than chicks, but if you will only buy four hens and a rooster, it shouldn't be too much.

I look forward to seeing the coop all set up.

Back
Top Bottom