Building a coop from a large old run-in..help! Update 5/1

Quote:
That might work! I'll ask DH what he thinks. Should we cut windows into the sides or would the front be enough? DH isn't going to like cutting windows in there but obviously we'll need them unless we are raising bats.
smile.png

I'd section off a corner for a broody/injured/chicks pen, but I wouldn't section off a storage area unless you just need one for garden stuff, etc. You can keep feed in garbage cans and hang a little cabinet up on the wall for little stuff. Agree with just hardware cloth over those angled spaces at the top, and that will be the ventilation. In rough blizzards there is always plastic and a stapler on the weather side. I love that my coop is big enough to set up a lawn chair in there and just sit with them. And they will love being able to hang out there in the winter, out of snow and wind. For the missing wall, the construction method is right there in the rest of it, just copy it! I'd probably go the lazy way and put doors and windows in the open end so I didn't have to cut holes in what was there, though as another suggested, it would be quite simple to cut a little away for a window and pop door, or even a people door. I don't personally like external nest boxes. Lots of work to build, hard to seal from weather or predators -- and then you wind up going inside anyway because someone is laying in the hay on the floor. I would go in anyhow just to check on things. But then I don't really build nest boxes, just use or modify whatever is lying around.

And I agree, what a great thing to have on your property!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bring SO with me tomorrow. However do NOT cut windows in sides. You have to frame them in....so much easier to do in new construction on front of building.

Level up the dirt inside so you have access to the entire lower "lip" of wood there. Then run 2x6's or 2x8's from side to side, raising the floor up a bit and predator proofing the bottom of it. 16" on center. Put plywood or OSB board on top of that. Make a mark on the wall in the center of the floor cross beams, so you know where to put the nails when you nail down the floor boarding. (sheathing) If you run a chalk line from side to side, at the marks (did I meantion mark both sides?) you can just pound those nails in fast fast. (Ask me, ray just put down the 4'x8' sheet and told me Go to it) Now you have a base to work on. It will be somewhat level, depending on how level the original structure is. But chickens don't carry a level in their pockets so they won't notice if it is off level...they don't have pockets
lau.gif

How strong are you two? If you are REALLY strong or have friends who will help you stand up a 14' wall, frame in the 14' wall on top of the flooring. Then stand it up. If you aren't strong, frame in 8' wall and frame in a wall to make up the remaining length and include the door in the smaller wall. Door framing is HEAVY...I know I lifted a 12' wall with one door and 2 windows framed into it. Grrr...d*** heavy. Why 8'? Cuz that's the length lumber comes. LOL.

Ok... that's as far as *I* can take you. How about I bring Ray and he can fill in the parts I didn't ....you know, the parts he did when I wasn't there and am , therefore, clueless about.

Once you have the front on, you can worry about inside walls if you want them. Personally, if I had that amount of space I would put in a chicken playground. Then I would go out and play with them in it. And 2 brooder areas.

OH, to fill in the "cracks" in the walls, buy some 1x1 or 1x2 (inches that is) and nail it over each of the cracks on the outside. LOTS of barns were built that way before the invented clapboard.

Nest boxes? Not external ...just nail them to any exterior wall. If you have to add a 2x4 to the wall first, to nail them to. Personally I would make a string of 4 of them all together and nail to back wall. Saves a WHOLE lot of cutting of wood. But I saw a cool pyramid of 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids cut in half and put on the front from buckets gotten for FREE at grocery store bakery. (Can't beat free)

Ok..Now I'm done with idea. And I haven't even shown Ray the pic yet. LOL

Quote:
Oooh I want that for my horse.... Should be easy to enclose. Id leave it dirt but go around the base and line it with hardware cloth or bricks. Me I would want to keep my supplies inside for those times when its blowing, snowing, or raining and you have to scoop grain....

Yah, I was thinking of keeping it dirt (minus the old horse poop). I do deep litter already, and this would just help it out. I hadn't even thought of putting a floor in although I'll see what DH thinks.
tongue.png

Quote:
Ok... Just put a beam across the front to mount the front wall to. However you do have to predator proof the floor. Hardware cloth? Personally, if I had the money I'd put in a floor, cuz it would be FAR more effective against digging predators...weasels, snakes, etc. And far more level in the long run. Remember chickens dig too.

New pic today! Just the front is on. We're going to primer/paint, add vents to the top plus I have nicer shed windows on order and I'll add flowerboxes under the windows. Also needed - chicken door, run, etc. We have a gigantic stairstep roost inside (not yet pictured). It's getting there! Also have to predator proof the open areas, of course.

The two doors are from our house - we are upgrading all our doors from the 70's to at least the 90's.
smile.png

P1010752.jpg

I would turn this into an open air coop. Which means you add wire to those upper parts and all along the front. Go to google and type in Open Air Chicken Houses...you should find it in a free ebook form. It was written about 100 years ago and has AMAZING knowledge in it.

Back
Top Bottom