building a coop, more windows or less windows

newowner001

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Boston, MA
I am building my first 6'x4' coop. I am in the MA Boston area. There are windows on two walls right now. I still have few used windows. I am wondering should I install one on another two walls to make the coop getting more daylight? I am not worried about the ventilation right now. So I will not make them openable. More daylight in a coop is good or bad? more windows/glasses, less safety for them?

more windows in coop will mean it gets hot when the sun is out. might be better for killing pathogens on the coop floor and litter, but if you are cleaning regularly they shouldn't be a problem anyway.

i like to keep the light level low in the coop (nothing other than ventilation) as otherwise they are crowing at 4am in summer.

I am building my first 6'x4' coop. I am in the MA Boston area. There are windows on two walls right now. I still have few used windows. I am wondering should I install one on another two walls to make the coop getting more daylight? I am not worried about the ventilation right now. So I will not make them openable. More daylight in a coop is good or bad? more windows/glasses, less safety for them?
More windows and more ventilation, even if you think you have enough. Hang them top hinged so you can open them and back them with 1/2" HC.
I have windows all the way around.
2CAA8E144C7F_1574876951434.png

More ventilation! Hardware cloth over every opening, and if you actually use windows, hinged at the top, like @DobieLover mentioned, is the way to go.
Large south facing windows, and then more on the east and west that can be closed in winter.
Wide roof overhangs, and build bigger! Six by four means a lot of cutting, how about eight' instead? And a walk-in structure, not something that you have to crawl into, or under. :old Obviously, build for your snow load, and a roofed run helps, so you aren't shoveling everything out all the time.
Mary

I love having plenty of light inside, so I'd always vote for more windows vs less. I have 5 windows total on 3 sides of my coop (all slide open) - but even that's not enough for me to see well inside during the gloomy parts of the year.

(Should add that if the coop is in a sunny spot or you live in a very hot environment, too much heat/light can be a concern, but generally I find more coops to be too dark inside vs too well lit.)

I built a coop with too little windows and the chickens wouldn't like to go in it. Once I added windows they loved going in and sleeping there. I built the coop with the same thinking that it would stop the cockerel crowing at 4 am. That didn't work and none of them likes sleeping in it. The only way to stop a cockerel from crowing it keeping the sun away completely. Any msll crack and he will crow anyway but have too little windows and your chickens will start laying eggs in the yard instead of in the coop.

So I also think you can never have too many windows unless the coop gets too hot. Glass can act like a greenhouse so the windows should be positioned strategically, they don't need to get direct sun which can heat the coop too much. With enough ventilation this is ok but then winter temps might be an issue so I'd say have windows sheltered from the sun and have as many as possible.

I have one window that faces North. My rooster I put in a nest box at night with a door. he only crows when the hens are let out, but not as loud. But he would crow more if left out. And i let him out after 8 AM.

I am not worried about the ventilation right now.
You should always 'worry' about ventilation.
Adding it when you're building is the time to do so.
Showing us your coop and/or the design plans would help us help you.

I like lots of windows for winter light, and ventilation in summer.
All my windows are top hinged glazed windows,
cleated shut in winter and propped open all summer.

I am in the MA Boston area
Welcome to BYC! @newowner001
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623584451431.png

Back
Top Bottom