Building a coop on a budget? Try the ReStore first

Holyhabanero

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Just giving a heads up to fellow coop builders to check out the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (think Goodwill for building supplies) before you check out Lowes or Home Depot. They sell many of the same items for a significant discount. For example, I bought my exterior screws for $2/box , vinyl flooring for $10, vents for $1 each as well as hinges, latches, scrap wood, shingles, paint, paint rollers etc. Most items are still new and just a fraction of what they would cost in a big box store. They also have a tool rental service for free if you need to rent tools.

You can see if you have one nearby by looking here: http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore.aspx

I love going there! I haven't bought anything for my chicken coop, but for my house. Now that I'm thinking of building a second coop, it'll be the first place I look.

Great idea! Thanks for the tip. And it benefits a good cause, too.

Last edited:
It's really a turkey shoot though. The one around here anyhow, it is VERY VERY hit-or-miss whether they have anything whatsoever useful, and what mood they are in when they quote you the price. I have gotten some terrific deals there, but there have also been a lot of days when I drove away emptyhanded either because nothing relevant was there or because they had something I wanted but were asking 95% of brand-new-full-retail for it.

Pat

We have something similar here, but it is also kind of hit or miss. What I love is the re-use zone at our local dump where people put things they don't want but are too good to throw away. I've picked up some awesome finds there!

Ours is hit or miss, too.

But ours does have lots of doors for $10 each.

I'm going down tomorrow to see if they have a glass top door for $10.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom