Coop Design - Feedback Pls

The high and low sides of the roof meets the wall there is space that we plan to frame out and put hardware cloth. Part of the thought behind maxing out the eaves was keeping this area protected and allowing air to be drawn in on the low side, and vented out the high side. I'm hoping this is enough ventilation.

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 1.18.48 PM.png

The high and low sides of the roof meets the wall there is space that we plan to frame out and put hardware cloth. Part of the thought behind maxing out the eaves was keeping this area protected and allowing air to be drawn in on the low side, and vented out the high side. I'm hoping this is enough ventilation.

View attachment 2697048
No, that wouldn't be enough ventilation.

Half of the side wall that is underneath the run roof as wire... that would be enough ventilation. But in Oregon, the entire wall as wire, and a window that opens and closes on the opposite side (so a breeze would go through the coop, yes even at perch height, whenever temps were at 80 or higher) would be better.

No, that wouldn't be enough ventilation.

Half of the side wall that is underneath the run roof as wire... that would be enough ventilation. But in Oregon, the entire wall as wire, and a window that opens and closes on the opposite side (so a breeze would go through the coop, yes even at perch height, whenever temps were at 80 or higher) would be better.
The coop total footprint is 48 sf. We were going off the 10:1 ratio when planning, 1 sf of ventalation for every 10 sf footprint. The eave ventilation is about 7 sf total. If we need more than that we may swap out the vent we had framed for with a solar fan to help move more air. The way the rain comes in, we get 45 degree angle weather a lot, even with the eaves, any more exposed sides would most likely result in water getting inside. I swear that that rain comes at us sideways sometimes.

For the summer months when it is 80+, we plan on keeping the windows open (there will be hardware cloth over them), just for more air flow.

Does anyone have experiance with a fan?

I'm hoping this is enough ventilation.
It'll help for sure.
Even better if the lower edge of roof is the same...will create a nice flow.

Does anyone have experiance with a fan?
I use a fan on the east side of coop blowing cooler air into the coop late in day.
Gotta be careful with and exhaust fan, dust can be a fire hazard if not made to handle a dusty environment.

The coop total footprint is 48 sf. We were going off the 10:1 ratio when planning, 1 sf of ventalation for every 10 sf footprint.

The usual rule for chicken coops is 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen.

IMO, the best test is to check inside the coop on a warm, sunny day. If it's hotter inside than out you need more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom