Building a new coop... Materials for 'transparent' roof?

MountNFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Woodstock, New Hampshire
I live in New Hampshire and I am making plans to build a new coop. The coop I am planning will have some sort of transparent roof. We get a lot of snow here, so whatever the material, it has to be strong and not shatter in freezing temperatures! Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking acrylic sheets, but i'm not sure how they'd stand up to the cold or weight of snow, as well as if they would crack or not when putting a screw through them to attach to the roof gables.

I live in New Hampshire and I am making plans to build a new coop. The coop I am planning will have some sort of transparent roof. We get a lot of snow here, so whatever the material, it has to be strong and not shatter in freezing temperatures! Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking acrylic sheets, but i'm not sure how they'd stand up to the cold or weight of snow, as well as if they would crack or not when putting a screw through them to attach to the roof gables.
Go to your local building supply store and look for the corrugated, polycarbonate roofing panels. They come in clear or smoked. Like this: http://www.palramamericas.com/Suntuf

Can I ask why you specifically want a transparent roof? Have you considered that this would potentially turn the coop into a greenhouse during hot weather....assuming you get in (unsure of your climate
wink.png
)

It could also put the chooks off laying in there if it is too light as they prefer a nice quiet, dim spot where they feel safe and not too exposed.

However, if you still want something transparent, here in the UK you can get corrugated PVC roofing for lean-to's and conservatories....do you have that in the States? It is specifically designed for roofing so should stand up to snow/freezing temperatures and screw holes
big_smile.png

Oops! A bit of cross-posting there x

Last edited:
Okay... picture a barn, with a hay loft. My coop would be the same design, but the hay-loft portion actually would be a greenhouse. That's the idea, at least
big_smile.png

I believe that we can get that type of roofing, but it seems to be very expensive(at least through my research, but maybe i am using the wrong search terms).

Okay... picture a barn, with a hay loft. My coop would be the same design, but the hay-loft portion actually would be a greenhouse. That's the idea, at least
big_smile.png

I believe that we can get that type of roofing, but it seems to be very expensive(at least through my research, but maybe i am using the wrong search terms).
The PVC version is cheaper, but not as strong. However, on a small area like a chicken coop roof, it should be plenty strong.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited:
big_smile.png

Lol! Ok so my greenhouse comment was right on the mark!!
lol.png

A cheaper option would be the thick polythene intended for polytunnels and the like.....as long as your roof was at a steep enough pitch to allow snow to slide off it. Our polytunnel has had a good foot or more deep snow on it and hasn't torn. It is now about six years old and still going strong and is MUCH cheaper than PVC but will, without doubt, need replacing sooner than PVC would.

Back
Top Bottom