Building a New wood Incubator (Great Hatch pics pg 6)

Quote:
Someone challenged Griffin to build a completely automated incubator that would hatch the chicks and then deliver them to the brooder.

One thing led to another... Someone mentioned computer.... and I mentioned that I would be nice to have a monitoring program.

And we've arrived here! LOL

Some of the more sophisticated Exotic Bird incubators are already set up for computer monitoring. Very pricey though, in the 7 to 10 thousand dollar range, but when you have an egg from a bird that is worth 5 to 15 thousand dollars as an adult, you don't put the eggs in a 50 dollar incubator.

Be assured that if the technology for computer monitoring becomes available, and if I can afford it and figure it out, my Incubators will have it.

In my adult job I convert analog systems to digital. We moniter temperature, pressure and positions and control everthing from a standard PC. I have been trying to retire for the last year and piddle around at my farm, but trouble seems to sprout up and I have to go help out.

Anyway, the pictures that have been added to my post have really helped my thought processes. I wish you guys would have put them up a little sooner though. I had not seen, nor used an automatic egg turner, so I broke down yesterday and bought one. They are so simple it is stupid!

The box that I built is about 18" x 18" x 16". It is made with 1/2" plywood, then I covered the inside with a composite cement board. I used cement board because I am using a single element hot water heater thermostat. A water heater thermo uses inductance to sense heat through the steel drum that the water is in. So I mounted the thermo in a 4 x 4 metal gang box, then mounted the whole thing to the inside on the cement board to give the thermo more to work with. I believe it will be more accurate and the cement board should make the whole thing more efficient.

If this all works the way I hope, my next step will be to make the whole thing operate on 12 volts DC. When I get good results with the 12 VDC, then I will shift to a solar voltaic cell with converted 115 VAC as back up.
he.gif

Good luck! You are sure putting a lot more work into it than I did when I made my 16x18x14 plywood incubator! Slapped together a box, put a clear plexi glass sheet for the top, had two 40W bulbs on a dimmer switch and coated it with literally a pint of clear urethane to where it felt like plastic. LOL Started it when I was like 15 and have since broken down and just installed a commercial incubator thermostat in it, but there is so little hysteresis in the thing it flashes like a car blinker with one bulb out.

Most of the probes with computer connection that I'm familiar with are designed for use in saltwater tanks so most of the links I know of would go there. I'm not sure they could be used out of water.

From a real quick google search though here's a temp one:
http://www.vernier.com/go/gotemp.html

Not sure what software is required but they are out there. They sell them for home brewing, aquariums, inside computer cases, and various industrial uses. You'd just have to find the hobby or use that matches up with using them for incubators and find a store online or off that sells them.

Wow SOLAR! I was just thinking about one the other day. I googled and found one in India (I think) but there were no prices available.

I mounted some hardware yesterday, but spent most of the day on our new chicken coop, chickens in the stable just isn't good. We are picking up some baby nubians this morning and we have pips in the LG, so its not looking good for any progress on the incubator today.

I did some research yesterday and I am going to be adding a few more things... one more light, but much smaller (probably 15w), and I am mounting a fan in the corner to avoid having to make stand-offs for it. Not to mention making a central contol center that can keep all the wiring enclosed. Yesterday ended up with 10 healthy chicks. I almost finished the new Chicken coop. Now my neighbor wants chicks! I told her I was not going to start anymore until the new incubator was done. We have to change roosters this week too, 'cause she wants easter eggers. You'd think one man could operate a 5 acre farmette, backed up by a great wife, but I can't seem to catch myself.
he.gif

Actually, your great wife is "backed up" by a terrific husband!
This is me:
frow.gif

This is you:
wee.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

gig.gif

Last edited:
Very nice Griffin.
I am a huge fan of homemade incubators. I owe great thanks to MissPrissy for her online instructions that I read...

I made one myself and hatched 2/2.

Update! I have two coats of paint on the incubator and I am now waiting for it to cure. I may have to make something to cure it faster as the weather gets colder. I went through my computer boneyard yesterday and found a small ball bearing CPU fan, I am going to try that first before installing a case fan. Pictures this week!

Back
Top Bottom