Building a New wood Incubator (Great Hatch pics pg 6)

Here is the incubator ready for curing...
17139_incubator_044.jpg

17139_incubator_040.jpg

17139_incubator_039.jpg

17139_incubator_037.jpg

17139_fan_and_light.jpg

CLose up of the fan ond light for OntheSpot

I have to finish with the wiring and make some adjustable vents, and come up with an automatic waterer...

Powered up about an hour ago and the temp is about 85!

Last edited:
I broke down and ordered a wafer thermostat today from GQF. The water heater thermostat has too big of a temperature flucuation for me. I think I could resolve it with air and ventilation, but I am not sure that it is worth the time.

I did think of a way to not have to go find a water wiggler and that it to use a plastic easter egg and ballistic gel. I posted my thoughts on that on another post. Look for making an egg simulator...

I added high and low adjustable vents to the upper/lower right and left sides with the low vents two inches from the back and the high vents two inches from the front. Pictures again soon!

Last edited:
Lovely work! Did it end up being crazy-heavy w/ the cement board?

I thought about making a wood bator, using ply for the exterior, a layer of insulation (thin foamboard), then a layer of FRP or some other easy-to-clean material for the interior.

Sounds like fun.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Great looking incubator!!

I just recently made one myself too..
Only hatched 3 out of 6, but 2 of those were fridge eggs, and my gals are EEgers..And I understand EEgers have a thicker membrane (They are definitly a bugger to peel after boiling even after sitting around 3 weeks)

Heres a pic of my "water wiggler" made from a balloon..

15399_my_homemade_water_wiggler.jpg

I saw somewhere else recently where someone used a tubular peice of latex..That probably would be easier to tie into shape..

Ya gotta laugh tho the way mine turned out..I sure wasn't planning that
wink.png

The incubator is not terribly heavy since I used 1/4" cement board, but the cement board doesn't seem to do what I thought it would. Someone on here, I think MissPrissy thought it should have insulation. I am now thinking that insulation between the wood and the cement board might be the ticket. I want the cement board to warm and keep the incubator form needing to be on for longer periods of time so that my solar system is not being abused by an incubator or my brooder.

Back
Top Bottom