Building a pond - step by step - mostly complete post71

Are you keeping track of the approximate cost? I know, it's probably like our hen house - twice as much as you thought.....
lol.png

looks like its coming along great, i'm actualy kinda jealous, i'm just using a small stocktank

Quote:
What did you do for a filter and cleaning the water before? and now?

Kiddie pool and dumped it out. The pond is only a few months old so I am still experimenting. The filter could probably use more media too. Algae grows to feed off the nutrients in the water - if I add plants it should "use" up the nutrients and prevent the algae growth. We all know how much fertilizer ducks produce so I went ahead and replaced my pond pump (cheap sump pump) with a real pond pump with uv. I am hopeful that between the uv, skippy filter and plants that it will balance out.

Then again I have more ducks due to hatch in 2 weeks..
lol.png

If you get some barley straw or even just regular hay or straw, tie it into big 'knots' or save some mesh onion bags and fill with the hay or straw. then weight it down in your pond. It will encourage the good bacteria and clear up your pond water. I'd go with about 5-10 onion bags to start. I used plain hay - and a few times bsgs of dried grass clippings to keep my koi pond clear. It works great!

You can also buy the small bags of barley straw at Tractor Supply for around $5 each, but it costs less to buy a bale of hay, save up some onion bags (get some from your friends & neighbors - or maybe you can beg or buy some from the local farm stand) and make your own. Then you can replace them when you need to.

Edited to add: Use the straw/hay bags with the filter system and lots of plants in the bog area (above the waterfall/water return). They work together.

Last edited:
water
big_smile.png

IMG_4296.jpg

I had 2 visitors as soon as they heard the hose...
Hey, is that for us? Is it ready yet? Can we get in it yet?
IMG_4299.jpg

How bout now?
IMG_4301.jpg

now?
IMG_4303.jpg

Almost there
IMG_4308.jpg

filled
IMG_4312.jpg

Quote:
Long way to go yet before the ducks get in yet.
Ordered a new liner for the filter yesterday (half the cost of the one we bought at Lowe's - so I'll wait a few more days to save some $$$)
Figure out the pump we are going to use
Plumb the filter
Build the filter
Put the top boards on after pinning liner in a few days
Build steps into/out of pond

Back
Top Bottom