Building a run, do I need extra fencing?

h8snags

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Murray, UT
We are building a run, and plan on using welded wire (2" x 4") for the fencing. We do plan on burying it to keep out dogs and other larger predators. We live in the city (although you wouldn't know it, as we are on about an acre of land) so there aren't any many predators to worry about, at least that I am aware of. So will I need to run hardware fabric around the bottom as well? Or do you think we should be ok?
Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
big_smile.png

I would, since raccoons are everywhere and can reach in and grab a bird and try to pull it through the too-small hole, resulting in the chickens head being pulled off. Sorry to be graphic.

We are going to have half of it roofed, and the other half with chicken wire to prevent anything from getting in at the top. Thanks for the thought about racoons, I would hate to see my babies heads ripped off! There are cats, coons, skunks, and dogs running around, I just didn't think about them being able to reach in, I was more worried about them even being able to break in! Glad I asked, Thank you!

Chicken Wire will not stop predators. I live in town and have raccoons and stray cats. I use hardware cloth around the bottom of my pen. Use welded wire or hardware cloth on the top also

Back
Top Bottom