Building an "Old Style" henhouse.....move in day!....... (pics)

I am truly impressed, I thought you would have a muddy, mucky mess. The new coop looks awesome. I agree you should keep the little coop as a brooder.
wink.png

Quote:
Nope, I won't. Along the back eave of the henhouse (closest to my shop) will be an eavestrough and downspout. That downspout will direct the water out and away from both buildings. The foundation of my shop is a "pole barn" which means each pole is sitting of a pad of concrete 42 inchess below ground (frostline) No issues.

Daycare Mom.....we had a bit of mud, but that 4 wd tractor evenly distributes traction so no tearing up the area to speak of. My two wheel drive tractor probably would have made more of a mess....even so, nothing that can't be fixed. Heck golfers tear up more turf in a round of golf than we did.
gig.gif

Are you going to need to level out the new henhouse at all? It could be the picture angle, but it looks like it's leaning back toward the workshop. I'm also sort of concerned about it blocking light into your window in the shop once the henhouse has siding on it... I hate to offer constructive criticism on something that is so obviously well-done...
smile.png
but I really want it to be totally perfect for you!!
big_smile.png

The thing about the little coop becoming the brooder coop cracked me up. Someone must want some more little fuzzy butts around your place.
smile.png

I think it looks great.

My only comment is I would have doubled the 2x4 under the roof beam and I would post a post under the floor to ground where the 2x4 meets the floor. If that makes any sense. I dont know how much of a snow load you get in your area, but here we have a huge snow load problem.

Quote:
It is a optical illusion. See the diagonal brace?....that insures that the walls are all still square to the floor. I did some quick leveling after it was set in place, it is close enough you can't tell with the naked eye. As I had commented before it is temporarily leveled for now I will be doing a final leveling when I put supports under the skids every 4 foot.
The ground falls away from the shop so you probably are seeing it different than it is.

That window in the shop will still let in some sunlight, in fact I had been considering moving it completely. I'd like to put windows in my overhead shop doors so I can see who comes in and out my driveway. I also have windows at the opposite end of the shop.

Quote:
Sure it makes sense, I posted that in post 27....I think,

The next thing I needed to make was the doubled up 2x8 "carrier" which the smaller wall rests on as do the rafters. If I feel the need for added support I will put a 4x4 under the carrrier and down to the floor at a point that a floor joist will help support the load.

I don't think we get the snowload you do up there....I am 238 lbs and I was up there walking around on it and felt no bounce at all.

Back
Top Bottom