Building breeding pens

muddyfeathers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Arkansas
I've finally gotten around to uploading a few pics of the progress and wanted to post a few so that I have a little diary going. If I never started a thread I'd keep putting it off til I forgot what I did :)
We put it down the hill away from the house and other chicken coops for misc reasons. It will have another very large fenced in area around the whole thing eventually so that they are allowed to free range with the extra security provided by a couple of guard dogs. The pens sit just inside the woods but the large fenced in area will include some pasture with the majority being mostly rocky open forest. Our personal flock of layers would spend all day down in the woods with me if I were there to watch over them as there are sooo many bugs under the fertile forest floor. We have plenty of predators but a pyrenee's can be a chicken owners best investment if properly trained.
Sorry for ramblimg..here's some pics...

This unit will be 60ft long with 12 pens, each pen will be 5'x4' with a 16'x5' attached run. I wish I would of thought to take pictures throughout the process but... :) The left side is the back and is ready for doors. The front was left open until the nest boxes/roost poles are in.

Looking at the back you can see how I just took a grinder and cut a square out of the tin for the doors.

From the front looking at the inside of the back wall..

Hinges are so expensive so I opted for sliding doors. The doors were made by the same tin with some modifications to add some rigidness. Here you can see the strips of wood added on the top and bottom of each door opening. A table saw was used to cut the slot out for the doors to rest in. The doors are not mounted in the following 2 pics.

With doors installed and closed. The piece of wood on the outside serves as a handle but more importantly makes the door stiff. There's another on the inside but opposite end that also adds stiffness but also serves as a door stop so that the door won't come out of the tracks.

This is the front

and the front with the divider walls installed..still have to add a piece of pallet wood across the top to keep each breed totally seperate

Suggestions are welcome!!

Last edited:
continued...
Roost poles and nest boxes were installed next. 2 nest boxes per pen but a few will have 3.

Are my pics not linked right? I thought I had done it correctly but the pics aren't showing up yet on my screen..just a direct link.

Last edited:
If you click on the little 8th icon from the right on the top bar then upload your pictures to the BYC site it should work and show up in your post. I really wanted to see your breeding pens as I am in the process of design.

Good luck

Thanks folks!! Not sure what was up with photobucket but I got the picture figured out I believe. I've gotten the front done and the framework for the runs done but its been raining so I haven't taken any pics yet. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.

I'm tossing around an idea that maybe someone could help me with. I have one of those IBC tanks that holds 330 gallons and I want to collect the rainwater from the roof of a shed that is uphill about 100 yards. I will be installing a pvc/nipple watering system and was hoping that this will work. I'm concerned that the PSI may be too much for the nipples since the water tank is uphill and is holding over a ton of water. Am I looking at it wrong?

Pic of the frame before fencing goes up. I made them 6ft high so I don't have to crouch around..my back will thank me
smile.png
1"x2" will go around the perimeter and then netting for in between and possibly over the top.

The dividers underneath the pens are mostly done, just need to figure out what to do to the back since I'd like doors for easy access since I plan on their feed being there for the most part. I used some old fiberglass panels that were rotting away forever and some pieces of pallets to sturdy them some. I'm not a big fan of those old panels as UV light really degrades them but since their out of the elements for the most part I'm hoping they'll hold up for some time.

Yea we're still around, just very busy!!

prizepete, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question??

We've gotten away from using these pens as originally intended. One year was enough to know that chickens weren't too thrilled to live in this manner. We now use these pens for single matings and projects. There is a quad in one of the pens but they seem to prefer it over being pastured...every breed is different and they never quit teaching us.

You can see the new methods used for rearing our flocks on our site - www.muddyfeathersfarm.com
It's MUCH more work but the benefits are worth it...or very close anyway :)

Yea we're still around, just very busy!!

prizepete, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question??

We've gotten away from using these pens as originally intended. One year was enough to know that chickens weren't too thrilled to live in this manner. We now use these pens for single matings and projects. There is a quad in one of the pens but they seem to prefer it over being pastured...every breed is different and they never quit teaching us.

You can see the new methods used for rearing our flocks on our site - www.muddyfeathersfarm.com
It's MUCH more work but the benefits are worth it...or very close anyway
smile.png

To Be honest... I have NO IDEA What I meant Either, soooo we are on the same page lol

Back
Top Bottom