building coop, do I need 1/2 inch hardware cloth all the way up?

Originally, I had hardware cloth underneath the whole run but I took it off. Chickens like to scratch in the dirt and I read that the wire tears up their feet when they try to scratch through it. So I took it off.

The tree roots in my yard were my reason for doing the apron. A 2' apron all around has worked well for us. I have since added pavers on top of the hardware cloth apron but that was for aesthetics and to stop the dirt/mud splashing up when it rained.

I do. Most predators are going to start digging right at the perimeter of the run.....they don't understand that if they'd start a foot or so back they could get under. Instead they'll start digging right where they want to be. Don't forget to cut some pieces for the corners.

Perfect. Thank you everyone for all your help! I have a plan, and my coop comes this weekend! Can't wait to let the chicks play in it a little!

Originally, I had hardware cloth underneath the whole run but I took it off.  Chickens like to scratch in the dirt and I read that the wire tears up their feet when they try to scratch through it.  So I took it off.

The tree roots in my yard were my reason for doing the apron.  A 2' apron all around has worked well for us.  I have since added pavers on top of the hardware cloth apron but that was for aesthetics and to stop the dirt/mud splashing up when it rained.

Originally, I had hardware cloth underneath the whole run but I took it off.  Chickens like to scratch in the dirt and I read that the wire tears up their feet when they try to scratch through it.  So I took it off.

The tree roots in my yard were my reason for doing the apron.  A 2' apron all around has worked well for us.  I have since added pavers on top of the hardware cloth apron but that was for aesthetics and to stop the dirt/mud splashing up when it rained.

Here is our finished product! I feel good about the protection.

I put down pine shavings, planning on trying deep litter. I would like the compost for the garden.

Back
Top Bottom