Building Coop - Ventilation Question

frjeff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Northern Michigan
First coop; 32 sq ft for 6 birds.
Have roughed in 3 - 14" x 2 ft vents at the eave, giving me Seven sq. Ft of ventilation for the six gals. Each vent can be closed.
Also, have low level intake venting and one window. Should not this be sufficient?

Friend told me I should put in a roof vent. Is this necessary?

Jeff

Thanks Judy. Great reads and your comment gives me confidence that I'm building properly.
One statement you make confuses me a bit. If I do not install "doors" to close off some of my venting, won't it be as cold as the outside temps during our quite cold Winters up here. I am not in South GA like you. :) Will my birds be OK when it is 15 below zero?

One of my vents in above the roost area. I'm thinking I ought at least close that one in the deep winter to keep drafts from them. No?

Jeff

Look at this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-tips-advice-for-a-newbie/0_20#post_11975357 (post #4) I remember reading about people in Alaska who do not heat their coop.

Yes, I agree, you ight want to close a shutter to keep a draft off the roost -- but if that doesn't interfere with good ventilation, you probably don't even need that oepning as ventilation. Of ocurse, you might need it )and ore) for summer cooling!

Back
Top Bottom