Building my avairy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Shadowish, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Shadowish

Shadowish New Egg

Nov 4, 2015
    Hi all,

I found some photos of how I built my aviary so I decided to share them. I had an advantage building this as the initial hexagon frame was an old green house that someone decided to throw out. I used treated pine sleepers to create a base that would be suspended from the ground so water wouldn't pool inside the aviary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here, I marked out a spot in the yard and dug it in around 10 cm into the ground.
    [​IMG]
    I filled it with pavers sand, compacted it and watered it in for a few days. Then I levelled it off.
    [​IMG]
    I found free pavers on Gumtree and placed them over the frame with a 1.5 cm grap between each paver.
    [​IMG]
    I mixed one bag of sand/cement mix into a sludge and poured it over to fill in the gaps (the same way you would apply tile grout over newly laid tiles). When it started to dry, I gently rubbed off the excess cement with a wet builders sponge
    [​IMG]
    The roof of the aviary needed to be reinforced so I purchased extra steel rods and wielded them from the tip of the roof down to the middle of each face. The image below shows the original roof and unfortunately I did not take photos of the roof once it was reinforced.
    [​IMG]
    I used marine grade pine sheets (6mm as it was cheaper than 12 mm and a whole lot less heavier!). I then applied roof shingles. In hindsight, I should have down this when then roof was placed on top as the weight of the completed roof required 5 people to lift it into place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I wielded three bars obliquely to provide extra stability and strength. I used material netting reinforced with stainless steel wire (19mm aperture) as metal netting could not be neatly wrapped around the aviary.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    An extra 3 square meters was later added to create a flight wing (pun intended) to the aviary. Here, the kids helped out :).

2 people like this.
  2. LowerBamaMama

LowerBamaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Cottonwood, AL
    That is awesome!! So inspiring!

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    beautiful, and what a great idea to use the hexagonal frame. I see those frames thrown out from when people bought the gazebo things . You are lucky you have the welding equipment to make them strong enough.

thanks for posting all the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by