224e824a.jpg

9e2e4665.jpg

eb220ef9.jpg

Old nest boxes out of a old coop that we burned last year
b4e307ae.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0458.jpg

Finally moved them in today. Still some exterior finishing to do and minor things to add but it is now in use.
wee.gif

Got the roof on friday after 33 hours of working
5097d41e.jpg

Saturday was fence day. I ventured to TSC for more feed and to check their prices on fence and
ep.gif
I went to home depot and picked up 5'x50' 2x4" wire for $45. They are secured to metal panels from our old cows.
b5413a71.jpg

My makeshift gate to get into the run
d0e75a5e.jpg

Roosts all painted up
6ea49075.jpg

89b72c5e.jpg

Nesting boxes painted as well.
ad047314.jpg

All that is left is to get more hardwire cloth to run on the bottom of the wire for the run and some battons for the outside.
celebrate.gif

last two walls are up. I get some ice and water shield for the roof tomorrow so I should be just about done by the end of the week.
wee.gif

Almost done.... Everyday I have had off in the past month has seemed to rain. Ugh
smack.gif
weather

I framed out the floor on Saturday and its approx 6'x8' it was built to suit the floor pieces. All wood is from our stock pile of home made boards

The floor is 4 pieces of wood that came with the pallets for the bonfire. They are 2 inches thick and in very great shape for free wood.

All concrete blocks were from around the farm

I have multiple windows around and a door that has been in a basement at my grandfathers for quite a few years. Some windows are off an old van that got scrapped for the metal.
smile.png

I have it raised off the ground due to the spring water build up. Plan on putting some wire cloth around the bottom for the chickens to go under in the hot summer sun. The area was picked for winter access, easy electricity, shade in the summer, and sun in the winter. All water runs away from the coop area it just stays a little wet after long periods of rain and the spring melt down.

They will have their own run fully enclosed and evil dog proof for when I am at work. They will also have a nice access door for when I let them free range when I am home.

I am so excited that I got this far and with the snow today I didn't think I was going to get the base down. Nothing is secured yet because I have to pick up the hard wire cloth before I secure the floor down to the frame.

I just had to share Hope you enjoy my adventure as much as I am. My obsession is taking form.
celebrate.gif

Ohh BTW I want to paint it John Deere colors
gig.gif

I will post more Pics along the way.

Last edited:
It's wonderful to build one from what's already around, isn't it? We spent almost nothing to build ours for this reason.

How cool to have homemade boards. Wow.

My uncle actually built my house you can see it in the background. He used to have his own little lumber mill on the property so I have a ton of wood hanging around. I can't wait to start framing up the exterior. I hope for wednesday to be nice enough to start.
big_smile.png

Love it! We are modifying a shed with as much stuff as we can find around our property. My dad built our house and sheds and lived here for 28 years, so he left a few things around.
big_smile.png
Great to know people who hoard useful things!

Day 3 and on s roll. Thanks to the weather holding out.
Screen secured over the holes
IMG_1454.jpg

Just enough
IMG_9319.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

My helper who decided all the screws needed to be knocked over into the leaves
roll.png

IMG_8173.jpg

More tomorrow I hope. On to the framing
woot.gif

Quote:
Thanks

As for the weather it hit 65 here today with a not so cold wind. But it will cool off again tomorrow back down into the 40's. But that is not stopping me
big_smile.png

Who knew framing a wall was so hard? Man it sure looks easier on TV.

Not quite finished with wall one as I am running out of sunlight and omph!

8e042dfc.jpg

The squares on the sides are for two windows and the middle is the huge door.
big_smile.png
I hope to have more done by the middle of the week. Thats if I can get some help. I'm not sure I can stand these walls up on my own
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom