Building my run today.

Pics

hairco

Songster
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
We are building my run today which will be a 20x20 and will divide it in the middle and have a 10x20 run for 2 pair of pees.What i would like to know what size building i need to build to house 4.Thanks

kuntrygirl, I want to be your lumber salesman

Oh no you don't. You would go broke waiting on me to buy lumber from you because I don't buy lumber. What you see there is all recycled wood. It's pallets. I'm a cheap-o deap-o kinda girl and I refuse to make Lowe's, Home Depot and all of the lumber yards any richer than they are. :gig

I'm a scrounger and I look and ask for any type of FREE building materials that I can get my hands on . The total cost of building that pen was about $25.00. And $20.00 was the cost of the sand. Everything else was free. :D

Last edited:
I do not agree with your comments about such small sized pens are cruel.Nine of my breeding pens are 10' wide with lengths varying from 20-30'. My largest breeding pen is 20x20. I put 11 peafowl in this breeding pen and last year it was plenty big for them.My other smaller pens had between 3 and up to 5 birds in the longer 30' length pens,and again,no ill consequences in birds health or breeding was noticed and I keep excellent records on each pen.Please give me your opinion-advise on the sized pen you would have for say,,50 breeding birds??
Here an actual google view of my facilities.

I have 1000 square meter (9000 square feed) for 18 peas!
If you don’t want to accept that your pens are too small it makes no sense to post any other picture or details. All my aviaries are having grass etc. inside. This is to keep the birds as natural as possible.
I can only agree to your comments PeaChecker!

Regards
Reinhold

My run is 8 feet tall and that is already not tall enough. I took a pic of their trains this weekend and it's almost touching the ground. These boys are only 3 years old, and their tails have more growing to do. Their roost is a little over 5 feet tall.

This is their pen.

Last edited:
I’m shocked, you all are discussing about sizes which are cruelty to animals. If you are not able to build bigger aviaries then you should give away your peafowl.

The absolute aviary minimum size for one pair is 20 x 30 feed. But whenever possible it should be 900 square feed. The aviary should be as min. 8 feed tall.

Unfortunately there are no rules for peafowl and too many people are keeping the birds in undersized aviaries. In your small aviaries they have no real space for running around and displaying.

They are animals who deserve to be housed properly.

Regards

PeaChecker

Please post pics of your aviary/run/pen, so that everyone can see how to properly house peas.. I'm sure everyone would LOVE to see your setup - including pics of your peas. :pop

Hi all
I think the minimum size for a breeding pair peacocks should be not less than under 80 square meters. Everything else is not fair housing and would have to be banned. Our breeding pairs peacocks whether blue or green sitting in aviaries from 120 to 150 square meter size.
When I not have the area to keep a horse then I only can keep a rabbit.

Peachecker, I see your fairly new here with only 15 posts but are telling us here that our faciities because of size is cruel? I offer you this bit of humble advise.Consider for an instant all peafowl was in their natural surroundings subjected to hawks,falcons,coyotes,wolves,ect. What would their life expectancy be in your opinion? And when harsh cold winters come with snowstorms dropping several feet of snow and wind chills below zero,will they find food and not get frostbitten toes?
All of us here have peafowls welfare and care at the top of our list.Diet,feed,parasite control and health are key to maintaining these magnificant birds. Along with shelter from the elements and predators.Some such as Zazouse free ranges her peas but does have dogs to help watch over them.Again,you can see that with human interaction peafowl are much better off with our help,than without it. I personally wonder if you believe confining to a small avaiary is so cruel,you must also think any type of confinement is cruel,so you evidently free range all your birds as well? Do you offer them fresh water,daily feed,any kind of parasite control? Do you offer them any sort of shelter from storms?
All of us here has expended alot of time and energy,let alone expense to insure their safety and longetivity.This does not take into account the cost of buying the peafowl,or the eggs to begin raising them.
I do not agree with your comments about such small sized pens are cruel.Nine of my breeding pens are 10' wide with lengths varying from 20-30'. My largest breeding pen is 20x20. I put 11 peafowl in this breeding pen and last year it was plenty big for them.My other smaller pens had between 3 and up to 5 birds in the longer 30' length pens,and again,no ill consequences in birds health or breeding was noticed and I keep excellent records on each pen.Please give me your opinion-advise on the sized pen you would have for say,,50 breeding birds??

Back
Top Bottom