Building my run today.

I try to post on the open forum gentle cause who likes a jerk thats mean or has nothing good to say.Now people can read your posts and mine too I hope since I showed them how, Are you offended?Sorry . Personal message/ Private message.Thats whenl you want/need to get personal. For most time its for the good as well as the bad To hash out problems in private. We all have our opinions, Dont get offended when u may not know you are are being offensive to others. I dont see all these photos on BYC of birds without crest etc.that you are implying are in too small of an enclosure and being abused because of it that you are talking about. but hey maybe Im missing all of them. Do I and others get tired of anyone's negativity.Yes...Yes we do. Can i be negative yes i can and I hope people call me on it when I am Shawn

FYI, my *only* birds that are missing feathers are actually the ones that free range, so one should not assume that it's from housing. Heck, it could be from the bushes that they play hind-n-seek in.
I never started a discussion about free range or pen keeping. That free ranged birds are exposed to other risks and predators we don’t have to discuss.
For me this is a discussion I would not do, because I’m confident that you can keep happy birds in both ways. The only discussion point is the size which it needs. When I look to the picture which kuntrygirl (post 82) then it is ok for me. There is grass inside and sufficient place to walk and display. But I disagree to some size as I have mentioned.

PeaChecker

Peachecker our new BYC Pea friend. Please come back here next weekend when I move all my birds to their summer breeding pens. I plan to take new pics of all my breeding males while they are in all their glory.These will be put on our website as well. I will then post how many other birds was with them, and the exact size of the pen they were in since last November.This should put an easy end to required space for peafowl. We could be worlds apart but my system works great for me and my peas which the proof will be in all the pics forthcoming. Please stay tuned and check back next weekend.

I'm curious about my pens. Can EVERYONE look at my pens AND my 4 peas that are in their pen and let me know if their pen is TOO small and if the peas look like they are crowded and if they look like they have raggedy feathers/tails and missing crowns or not cared for properly?

I am constructing another pen for 5 peas and I want to make sure my pens are large enough for my birds.

The entire pen is 30 feet long, 13 feet wide and 8 feet and a few inches tall. If they want to get out of the rain or cold they go into a closed/covered area that is 13 feet wide x 9. They never sleep in that enclosed area. They preferred being outside on their tree roost.

Here are some pics. Most of you who know me have already seen these pics but I am posting again to get feedback. And if their pen is NOT enough room, what would everyone say is adequate space for 4 adult peas. ALL comments welcome. :pop

This is the covered area where they go in to get out of the rain.

Last edited:
Here are some pics. Most of you who know me have already seen these pics but I am posting again to get feedback. And if their pen is NOT enough room, what would everyone say is adequate space for 4 adult peas. ALL comments welcome.
Hello kuntrygirl.
my recommendation is, if ever possible prepare approx. 30 square meter (270 square feed) per bird. Then they will have plenty of space to run an if the hens will have chicks they have still some free space.
Regards
PeaChecker

Hello kuntrygirl.
my recommendation is, if ever possible prepare approx. 30 square meter (270 square feed) per bird. Then they will have plenty of space to run an if the hens will have chicks they have still some free space.
Regards
PeaChecker
PeaChecker, perhaps you missed my earlier post? I inquired about your location to find if you have any experience with top netting in a location that gets snow. If I were to build a pen as big as you recommend, how would I cover it in a way that leaves little risk that the whole thing would collapse if we get a storm?

PeaChecker, perhaps you missed my earlier post? I inquired about your location to find if you have any experience with top netting in a location that gets snow. If I were to build a pen as big as you recommend, how would I cover it in a way that leaves little risk that the whole thing would collapse if we get a storm?
Hello Frosty,
yes I have some experiences. I don’t know how much snow you get in winter time but my aviaries were still ok when I had 20 cm snow on top. If I had that much on top I were shake it down to avoid an overload.
Over the whole area I made steel crossing with 3x3 m and on all cross points were a pillar. In between the crossings a tensioned steel wire were supporting the covering. For covering I used a 50x50 mm wire mesh. But you can also use a net. But to remove the snow in winter it is easier with a wire mash and it is also more save for the peas because they cannot be cached up. If you are living in an area with a lot of snow I would recommend to make the steel crossing a little bit closer 2.5x2.5 m. When you look on the picture in post 27 (of Pfauenfreund in this thread) he has a similar design. On the picture you can see the steel crossing. On his web page he has a detailed description of his design (follow this link http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-English/The-Peafowl/Husbandry-PM/Aviary-PM/aviary-pm.html).
After you read his instruction and you still have some questions, don’t hesitate to contact me again.
Regards
PeaChecker

Peachecker,what is the tensile load breaking strength of your top wire for holding the netting up?
French, I used a zinc coated plain wire with a diameter of 3.5 mm. On each steel beam I went once 360° around to prevent that the tension between the different fields will be added. When you have snow on top it will give a lot of tension to the wire and when you go once around the tension between the fields will not be added. This prevents that the wire cracks.
Regards
PeaChecker

Back
Top Bottom