Building my run today.

They are the same thing Minxfox, look up" heavenly bamboo nandina"
Oops that is what I meant...I meant that I didn't know they are called nandina I just knew them as heavenly bamboo...I never heard of them called nandina but know I know!
smile.png

I need to do some pen fixing. The netting is rubbing on one of the perches too much.

Sounds like there area is starting to develop which means more close neighbors which means there is more chances of run in with peas and neighbors,i bet it has nothing to do with caring for free rangers, folks don't want them on their cars and such and just like us they have the right.
I think you're right... My neighbors *hate* them and have called animal control when they hop the fence.

Could just be cause its overcast in the pic.I see what you mean though. I started to think about something on this thread. I am probably the only one keeping peafowl that doesnt have a covered area in my birds pens but they do have plenty of shade. Not including the people that freerange. UH.Oh.Now I might have to get to work on a construction project.
lol.png

If you really thing that a size of 20’ x 20’ is big enough for 11 peafowl then I only can say pure birds.
Why we see so many pictures of peafowl without crest and sheared feathers? The reason is the pens are too small and the peas are having boredom. They are pressed together and then they start to attack each other. They start to pick out each other the feathers.

It would be the same if two people have to live together in a room of 12’x12’ with nothing inside over a long time. I’m sure after one week you will be happy to be out.

Sorry, but this is industrial livestock farming and has nothing to do with adequate animal welfare.
Peachecker. I just caught this but will not dispute your opinions,rather prove your very wrong about the condition of my birds that are housed together in much larger numbers than you say is adequate space per bird. Inside my building for example in my black shoulder silver pied pen which is 8'wide by 12' in length,I have 3 hens and my male named Roadtrip that will be 6 years old this summer.. Four total adult sized birds in a space of about 96 sq ft. These birds has lived inside this pen since last November and none of the birds are missing crowns nor is my males tail feathers torn up. I have another inside pen with 6 Purple peacocks ,and the 3 yr old male inside of this pen also has a spectacular 4' long train,just as my BSSP male has which is now at 9' in width and over 6' tall. I will remember your post about the ill effects of overcrowding when I get pics of all the birds when they are moved outside for breeding in another week. I will then pose the question to other members if they look in poor condition.Your quote above seems to offer sympathy for my birds but proof will be in pictures of how they all "faired" over the wintertime in overcrowded conditions.As we all know it takes several months for males to grow a train,let alone one being over 5' in length,so showing how magnificant my males looks maybe some indication that I do know how to maintain birds thru providing shelter and protection from the winter elements.Also because I observe my birds a lot I know which birds are the "alpha" or dominate ones. Many of my birds has been hatched and grew up together. Proof will be in many pictures forthcoming because we all love peacock pics here. And all 10-soon to be 11 mature 3yr old-plus males trains all looks spectacular with no faults.Beautiful crowns on the tops of their heads as well. Pics forthcoming,please watch for them.I'm proud of my birds here.

French We know you're proud of your peas and should be,
bow.gif
We all are are proud of our birds.Post them pics so that we your friends can enjoy them. Not to prove anything! You dont have to prove anything to us. Nothing!!! Heres another thing what I love about BYC. You dont even need to get into it on the open forum or even bother a moderator. I invite anyone here to view all of peacheckers posts. They can also check mine ,yours or anyone else for that matter.You will LOVE it!!!! Heres how.,,, Point on the name of the person above their avatar. Then scroll dowm and click to "all posts" You may have the luxury of being just another internet phantom that likes to troll or stir up crap. But unless you delete really really alot this pretty much shows the true character of a person regardless. Not my first time with this sort of thing obviously. NUFF SAID!!! Hope this helps anyone.
wink.png
Yall like fruit??? How ya like them apples?
lau.gif

Last edited:
Peachecker. I just caught this but will not dispute your opinions,rather prove your very wrong about the condition of my birds that are housed together in much larger numbers than you say is adequate space per bird. Inside my building for example in my black shoulder silver pied pen which is 8'wide by 12' in length,I have 3 hens and my male named Roadtrip that will be 6 years old this summer.. Four total adult sized birds in a space of about 96 sq ft. These birds has lived inside this pen since last November and none of the birds are missing crowns nor is my males tail feathers torn up. I have another inside pen with 6 Purple peacocks ,and the 3 yr old male inside of this pen also has a spectacular 4' long train,just as my BSSP male has which is now at 9' in width and over 6' tall. I will remember your post about the ill effects of overcrowding when I get pics of all the birds when they are moved outside for breeding in another week. I will then pose the question to other members if they look in poor condition.
The sizes and numbers I took from your post. I never mentioned anything about the conditions of your birds. I just mentioned the point, that we see many pictures of peas without crest etc. and this is manly a problem of overloaded pens.
I know that Indian Blue and all separated mutations are much more tolerant against each other compared to green peafowl. But for me this is no reason to increase the number of birds kept on same space.

It is in your responsibility what you are doing. For me it is not an adequate animal housing when peas have to live on such a small square section. The birds need more space to run. Everybody is free to think about it whatever he wants.
With best regards
PeaChecker

I invite anyone here to view all of peacheckers posts. They can also check mine ,yours or anyone else for that matter.You will LOVE it!!!! Heres how.,,, Point on the name of the person above their avatar. Then scroll dowm and click to "all posts" You may have the luxury of being just another internet phantom that likes to troll or stir up crap. But unless you delete really really alot this pretty much shows the true character of a person regardless. Not my first time with this sort of thing obviously.
Hello Shawn,
you always write in your post so gentle. Everybody can read my post, this is a good idea and all can see that I never had anything personally against you. For my understanding I have mentioned some objective comments without any personal background.

But how you were treating me in your private mails?? This was very personal. We are doing discussions about peas and nothing else.

Regards
PeaChecker

The sizes and numbers I took from your post. I never mentioned anything about the conditions of your birds. I just mentioned the point, that we see many pictures of peas without crest etc. and this is manly a problem of overloaded pens.
I know that Indian Blue and all separated mutations are much more tolerant against each other compared to green peafowl. But for me this is no reason to increase the number of birds kept on same space.

It is in your responsibility what you are doing. For me it is not an adequate animal housing when peas have to live on such a small square section. The birds need more space to run. Everybody is free to think about it whatever he wants.
With best regards
PeaChecker
FYI, my *only* birds that are missing feathers are actually the ones that free range, so one should not assume that it's from housing. Heck, it could be from the bushes that they play hind-n-seek in.

Back
Top Bottom