Building new 2 story coop/office for hatchery |*PICS*|

KBHatchery

Songster
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Monroe, North Carolina
We started building the first floor this afternoon, the first floor is 12'x24'.
The entire building will be two stories and the upstairs will be an office for the hatchery.
There will be 9 coops inside the first floor (each will be 6'x4').
the runs will be 6'x12' with two larger runs at the end of the
building for larger poultry and game birds.

we used 4"x4"x12' for the floor frame. the whole frame is
12'x24'.

A LOT OF WOOD
barnie.gif

9 cement blocks to level out the building.

The 2"x4"x12' were used for flooring.

BUCKET O' NAILS |*LoL*|
bow.gif

we cut stabilizers from a few 2"x4"x12' 's . Before putting on
the plywood.

laminate floors from Lowes for easy clean.

This is all we had time for today with the light given and
a lunch break around 5. And another Lowes trip haha.
I will keep yall updated on the progress and when everythings
finished i may put the blue prints up.
wee.gif

As a professional, I have a moral obligation to point out flaws that could endanger the life/welfare of all living creatures. I never intended to come across as bashing the thread starter, just pointing out areas that might get him/her in trouble.

Being a public forum, the thread starter had to be aware that he/she ran the possibility of receiving positive and negative remarks, and to take them with a grain of salt. I hereby make this my public apology if I came across as hostile.
hu.gif

Last edited:

the runs ended up being way bigger than expected which is good
because we will need space lol all of these pictures are from the
past two weeks. and we decided to take a short break after finishing this side
so that we could till the garden and plant the veggies.

we placed the breeds from left to right:
Pearl white leghorns, Rhode island Reds, and then silkies.
We will not be ordering any more chicks until the other side
of the coops are completed. so far 4 coops and runs out of
4 are completed. we also have Pekin Ducklings in the brooder.

I would still encourage you to check with your county regarding building permits/inspections. Even if you are zoned agricultural... I would hate for the county to tell you to take it down because it doesn't pass their inspection, or you didn't have the proper permits... I've seen it happen when we lived in Oklahoma - neighbor put an addition onto his house, thought he could get away with no paperwork because no one would notice the addition. Ooops! Two years later, he was forced to tear it down, because it didn't meet code/inspection and he never had permits.

It's not going to be very inconspicous with it being a 2-story building, and if you have nosy neighbors, or inspectors cruising by, they might be able to see it pretty easy.

Where I live now is zoned agricultural, but I STILL need to submit simple site drawings for any structure I build that is under a certain square footage. Permits/inspections/engineered drawings are required for anything above that square footage.

I would be worried about all that weight of the building sitting on this cinder blocks that are on topsoil. I know in Virginia that would never pass building code. I would be worried about it settling. And possible problems down the road. I'm gonna get off my soap box now.

Thanks you guys, i keep going over the plans in my head thinking of different things i wanna so. but for now im sticking with the main plan and its getting this **** thing build lol.
After this tho i have the amazing job to set up and edit the website and thats gonna take some long nights and lots of coffee
caf.gif
gig.gif

Thanks you guys, i keep going over the plans in my head thinking of different things i wanna so. but for now im sticking with the main plan and its getting this **** thing build lol.
After this tho i have the amazing job to set up and edit the website and thats gonna take some long nights and lots of coffee
caf.gif
gig.gif
Haha! Keep up the good work!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom