Building new 2 story coop/office for hatchery |*PICS*|

You should look up the permit laws for your county. We live in Yancey County and you have to have a permit to build anything that extends 12' in any direction...so a building that is 11' tall and 11' wide, and 11' long is fine to build with no permit...but a building that is 12' tall and 11' wide, and 11' long would require a permit...any dimension 12' or larger requires a permit from the county permit office. Same in the last county we lived in, Buncombe...You look like you are somewhere flatter than I am, but you should still check...Because you are definitely over 12'. Also if you are running any power to the building than a certified inspection has to take place. It cost us $100 last time we had to get a building permit, but that is for the permit and inspection(s)...

I am looking up what you need a permit for in Union County NC...hang on...Ok..it seems that the Union County website is a piece of junk, or is having serious issues today..I'll keep checking.

Ok...I got it to come up...you need to call them since they now charge double the fee for anything that is begun before you have the permit. It says Most construction requires a permit, and that they charge double if you start building before you have the permit.

Here are some excerpts from the site...

N.C. General Statute153A-357 requires a permit to be obtained before work may commence on most construction projects. Therefore, effective January 1, 2013, a double fee will be accessed to any permit issued after work has started.. This will also apply to any permit application received for processing which is marked “ready for inspection”. If you have any questions concerning this or any other permitting issues, please let us know.

To secure a residential building permit you must submit a completed building permit application, (forms are available in our office or you can print the form in PDF format directly from this web site - see below). Along with this application you must have proof of sewage disposal (letter from Public Works of county sewer availability/septic permit or septic waiver from Environmental Health) water availability, and zoning approval (parcels under the jurisdiction of the county will be handled in our office).
For commercial projects a completed building permit application along with three complete sets of plans (includes building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical drawings), a completed information sheet for the appropriate fire marshal, zoning approval, proof of sewage disposal and water availability are required for commercial applications. Submittals are then reviewed and permits issued upon compliance.
Cost of permits is based upon square footage, (heated and unheated)

Anyway just google building permits in Union County...use Internet Explorer and click the broken page icon in the address bar, for compatability view...The while thing being on the ground with only cinder blocks probably won't pass inspection. I hope that you haven't done a whole mess of work for nothing...Perhaps they will tell you you don't need a permit, but it says any commercial building has to have a permit...so for real you need to call them before you swing your hammer even one more time. It's going to cost more time trouble and cash the longer you wait and the more you build

Last edited:
The framing technique used for this build isn't typical. For a header for a door and/or window, you typically have a double 2x6 or 2x8 with a plywood spacer. You need a larger piece of dimensional lumber to help deflect the load of your roof and second floor from the door/window opening. The window sill looks okay, using just a 2x4. I posted an image below to help illustrate what I'm trying to explain.

window_framing_2xq.gif

Last edited:
I hope you will continue your post. I have been waiting to see how you lay out the interior. I am building my own coop finally and have been looking to see how others have there interiors laid out.

Side note, I know the intentions are probably innocent, but as a third party reading on this post, a lot of people need to mind their own business. I know your trying to help, but having 5-10 different people ripping on this guys structure is a little uncalled for. I'm not an engineer, nor am I an architect, hell I'm not even an inspector, I'm just here to look at his design! If you like it great, if not, move on to the next page!!

I think it's fine, but they definitely should call the permit office, especially in their county because the fee is doubled if you start building before getting the permit, and I know that would cause us some problems with the budget at my place...

I hope you will continue your post. I have been waiting to see how you lay out the interior. I am building my own coop finally and have been looking to see how others have there interiors laid out.

Side note, I know the intentions are probably innocent, but as a third party reading on this post, a lot of people need to mind their own business. I know your trying to help, but having 5-10 different people ripping on this guys structure is a little uncalled for. I'm not an engineer, nor am I an architect, hell I'm not even an inspector, I'm just here to look at his design! If you like it great, if not, move on to the next page!!
Well in the same thought people should make the thread starter aware of the building codes. Building codes are there for a reason, safety. If it was a single story outbuilding I don’t think people would share much of a concern but since it is a multi-level structure people are sharing their thoughts and concerns because the danger that it may be causing. You have to look at it from the stand point of people are bashing him to just bash the man they are trying to inform him of things that possibly down the road could save his life or the lives of anyone who may enter this building. I’m sure you wouldn’t be singing the same tune if the building was fully occupied with animals and you saw on the news where a man and his animals are dead due to a building collapse. Building collapses are not a pretty site. I’ve been on my fair share of them and a lot turn from a rescue operation to a recovery operation. In the same since I am not trying to be hostile to you but you have to look at it in a sense if these post make the thread starter take a step back and build to code it could save his life down the road.

Not a sermon just a thought

As a professional, I have a moral obligation to point out flaws that could endanger the life/welfare of all living creatures. I never intended to come across as bashing the thread starter, just pointing out areas that might get him/her in trouble.

Being a public forum, the thread starter had to be aware that he/she ran the possibility of receiving positive and negative remarks, and to take them with a grain of salt. I hereby make this my public apology if I came across as hostile.
hu.gif

Last edited:

Not innocent, but actual engineer and architect, trying to save them (and maybe you) some heartbreak. Not a good idea to put a two story building on such a scant foundation. The permitting issue could be a bank breaker. Yes, trying to help.

thank you everyone who has put in their opinions and suggestions. But no I do not need a permit in Union County North Carolina, I would need a permit if people where to be allowed on the property, into the structure that is currently Under construction. I do however have to speak with a man that lives not to far from me about being recognized as a family owned and operated hatchery. No outside help with poultry. if we were to have people visit or work with us and our business we would need a permit to show its safe for anyone to enter. the hatchery will sale its chicks and other poultry at sales in North Carolina , and online at our website which is also under construction. we do have all of the paper work to show we are able to sell poultry and other game birds. selling eggs and hatching eggs, and most important to actually have the hatchery, we just have to place signs on sanitation after handling chicks/chickens. hey have us a few papers to copy and send with the chicks over postage.

Other things I would like to say is that the lad the building is built on is mostly rock, here in NC when you have an area that is slightly on top of a hill chances are there are rocks underneath..... not sure if there are rocks get and auger or a shovel and dig.

With all the extra support we are adding to the building it should be secure, hurricane bracers are also used. the deck on the right side also adds some weight and support. Everything inside and out is level, after last week im actually impressed with how the building has settled well with all the constant rain, we waited till yesterday to add concrete to the 4x4's for the building, stairs, and deck.

That is super cool! In my county in nc anything over 12' has to be permitted and inspected. It's bothersome...
Luckily the coop we started with is gigantic and was already here. I was just afraid you would get hit with a bunch of fines...I'm glad it's all working out for you

Back
Top Bottom