Building new coop, 2nd ever

HollyKMS

Songster
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
Felida WA
Started with first coop & first chickens this summer. Unfortunately, since I knew nothing about woodworking or chickens, I was going in blind. I did Ok with the first one but I made the run only 3'tall since I was only getting a few bantams.

42573_oldcoop.jpg

This is the old coop. It's only a few months old, and quite appropriate for my 4 girls, but still...the constant rain is an issue (it needs to be more enclosed) and I'm already tired of having to clean on all fours
hmm.png

Constraints:
-I only have ONE location I can put the new coop- right where the old one was- our yd space is limited. I temporarily moved the old coop so I could put this one up; I'll have to take the old one down as soon as this one's complete because it can be seen, slightly, from the street. Husband doesn't want an eyesore! Coop has to be behind the garage between the 2 garage windows (so it's out of sight). The windows are 9' apart & 4'6" off the ground. You can see the space in the picture above.

-Also, because of previous landscaping, it can only be about 3' deep. Plants/trees in the way, that kind of thing.

-Because it's under part of the awning & against the house, the roof has to pitch forward, not back, so I'll have to put a front gutter. 'Can't have it pouring water onto the house for 7 months of the year!

-We have such extremes here--very cold winters, very hot summers, very windy blustery days, 7 solid months of nonstop drizzle in the winter, freezes/ice/snow--so I want to encase the top 2/3 or so in wood, for the girls' comfort. Plan to have hardware cloth for the entire backside and 2' around the bottom only, so they can see out and get ventilation. They free-range (well, free-yard) during the day when weather permits, so I don't think they'll feel too penned-in.

-Last thing- I don't want to make it entirely immovable or permanent so I'm using multiple screws but not glue. House won't be attached to run but hooked against it, so they can be moved separately. Want to be able to take it down if necessary. Brick footprint in lieu of concrete, etc.

Lots of limitations but I think I can do it!

Got the space cleared and set up the footprint today!! Will stabilize with more dirt on inside & out before it's completed. Very exciting!-but it took several hours of digging & stacking to get it level. Ground was totally uneven. *phew*
42573_footprint.jpg

Got the materials yesterday so I started the framing for the rear wall today. YAY!
42573_dsc_0001.jpg

I'm tired and sore, but feelin' good!
big_smile.png
I'm no Norm Abrams, and this won't be nearly as impressive as many of yours, but it's still fun to work on each step in the process!!
big_smile.png

That's a lovely coop. I have no idea why your DH thinks a nice coop would be an eyesore. If I were you, I wouldn't let him have any of the nice, fresh eggs until he adjusted his attitude!
SEVeyesB04_th.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
LOL FUNNY! Nice idea!-except (1)my girls aren't laying yet despite lighting (6mos old) and (2)husband won't eat eggs unless they come from a store. I guess he thinks of them as unclean if they haven't been processes, but ya know, they all come out of a chicken's ass, right? Go figure. My kids & I can't WAIT to have yummy fresh eggs though!

Nifty- I tried for over an hr yesterday to set up the blog page with the pics but the pictures won't attach for some reason, even when I did it the exact same way that I posted here... (?)
idunno.gif

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT VETERAN'S DAY!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Nice start - I'll look forward to seeing more pics as you progress. I had to laugh at this quote. I got my coop free off Freecycle. The woman who gave it to me had built it herself and kept chooks for a season or two but her husband refused to eat the eggs because "he didn't trust anything that didn't come from a store", so she gave up and got rid of the chooks. I wonder what kind of processing these guys *think* is done to the eggs prior to putting them in egg cartons for sale....

HEChicken- Yeah, we might end up with more eggs than we eat (though we eat a lot of eggs at our house) but I have an organic-y friend in PDX that's always buying fresh eggs @ the Sat Farmer's Market. She said she'd gladly take any I can give her, if we have extras.

Quote:
That was the plan!
big_smile.png
There'd be an 8'L run but also a few more feet under the coop....

I plan for the lower portion of both sides & the rear be HC. I plan to hinge the roof of the coop; that's how I designed my first coop & I loved the easy access.

Here's the tentative plan I made up-
smile.png

42573_plan001.jpg

I DO have one question- Can standards and bantams (hens only) live peacefully together once they're carefully introduced? Or does the size difference make it impossible? Was building this so I could add a few girls in the Spring, but I was hoping to get standards this time, and I didn't know if that would work...

Thanks!

I have 9 wk old standards, banties and guineas together. All getting along..now any way. Am prepared to seperate if I have to. I just started to let them out of the coop two days ago. Had to make sure I covered the whole run top with netting. The only thing I can see is the guineas go nuts ! They race around the coop as fast as they can go. Running into most anything in their way...that's me too ! :)) Love watching them all. Good luck with the coop.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Quote:
gig.gif
LOL FUNNY! Nice idea!-except (1)my girls aren't laying yet despite lighting (6mos old) and (2)husband won't eat eggs unless they come from a store. I guess he thinks of them as unclean if they haven't been processes, but ya know, they all come out of a chicken's ass, right? Go figure. My kids & I can't WAIT to have yummy fresh eggs though!

Men are strange. My son-in-law won't eat them either. He won't eat anything out of our garden because we put a bunch of horse and chicken manure on it for fertilizer. He says it's nasty! Oh well, his loss!
banana_smiley_20.gif

Back
Top Bottom