Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
Hubby piped up to tell him that his company could be a sponsor, too. @Nifty-Chicken yoo-hoo! Drumming up business for you!
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Love the plans you have for your new barn! I love the multi coop idea. Looks like it's going to be a real winner. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks! They said it would be at least three weeks so we have a little way to go. I hope they get it here sooner rather than later. I was at my late father's house today helping my sister go through his crazy basement and came back with lots of new hinges, hooks and even a little foam board insulation for the new barn.

Updating: We are in a holding pattern awaiting the delivery of the building. It's been two weeks and they said a minimum of three so we have some time. Meanwhile, we've had torrential rains. The drain we installed at the bottom of the rock wall did fabulously. The side nearest our coops had some dirt wash down the bank and pooled water on that side, the only place there was standing water-we had several inches of rain so it was a huge test.

I can't finish that side with rock until the building is there and I know exactly where the door will end up, but we decided to run perforated drain pipe down that side as well, emptying out behind the pad and around that oak tree. When it rains in a day or two, we'll see how much it helps. I'm sure it will, but I still can't finish the bank until the building is in place. So, that's about it for the barn build.

Oh!... that reminds me I need to test a drain here......so I can finish covering it before freeze up..keep waiting for torrential rain but not happening will have to use the hose.

Anyway...glad your drains are working well. :D

Oh!... that reminds me I need to test a drain here......so I can finish covering it before freeze up..keep waiting for torrential rain but not happening will have to use the hose.

Anyway...glad your drains are working well. :D

Maybe you'll luck out and you'll also have a deluge. I'll push real hard and see if I can shove it up that way.
lol.png

Oh, I did forget one thing. I found two motion activated solar lights for the coop, one for each side to light up the door areas. They are interesting as they each only cost $14.99 on Amazon and had splendid reviews. After being fully sun-charged, they come on at dusk very dimly and if something comes within about 20 feet of it, it blazes out for 10 seconds or until whatever it is quits moving. I thought that was a great price and so far, they are working great. Maybe they'll scare the deer off and they'll quit leaving tracks across my barn pad.
hmm.png
If they don't keep working well, I can always get a different type, but I had $25 in Amazon gift cards.

Each is on a tree facing one end of the future barn.

• Ultra-Bright: High-powered 12 LEDs provide excellent illumination of up to 160 lumens. This is bright enough to turn night into day and provide security for your home or business.
  • Eco-Friendly: Our light is charged through the day by exposure to sunlight. Its Li-ion can provide 12 hours of illumination at night from just 7 hours of charging during the day.
  • AUTOMATIC: The light features a PIR motion sensor that is activated when movement is detected within 3 m / 15 ft. If no further movement is detected during the 10 seconds that the light is on, it will automatically turn on Dim light when no motion.
  • Easy to Install: The light takes only minutes to install. Screws and a hinge are provided and no complicated wiring is necessary.
  • Durable: The light has been certified to IP64 meaning it is waterproof, heat-resistant and rugged. It can keep working throughout anything the great outdoors has in store.

Last edited:
We'll get a deluge after it's all tested and finished.
Not sure motion lights will actually scare off wildlife...not long term anyway.

Back
Top Bottom