Building on an incline--pros and cons?

Cherry Bird

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Olympia, WA
Is it possible to place part of a run on an incline? We get lots of rain and don't want the flooring it to wash away and leave a mud bath. I would prefer not to roof the entire run. Other considerations besides erosion?

Another option would be to place the coop and a minimum run on the level and provide additional access to a large inclined yard during the day. Will the chickens inevitably turn the entire yard to dust? Or is there a ratio of yard to chicken that will allow some of the grass to live? If some of the grass will remain, then I don't need to worry about erosion.

Thanks!

almost all of my coops and runs are on slopes, it's just hilly around here. But they dig holes and have mud puddles when it rains. But at least it lets them cool off when it is hot. If you want grass, there was a post that showed how they made a sort of raised bed with chicken wire on top. So far I have not had much luck with it but I am thinking if the grass was established before the chickens were in the run it might work. I think mine ate the seed! Maybe my boards need to be wider. Try a search with run and grass, see if you find it. They had pics as well;-)

I had a coop on a steep hill and the hens really didn't like going up to it. I built my next one on the tiny bit of flat space in my backyard, and we use the hillside one for storage!

Back
Top Bottom