building paradise for the birds

Pics
I'm about to start a big project if my own. I'll post pictures once I get the site prepped. You've inspired me birdman!

thats awesome....cant wait to see the pics...getting like almost 20 eggs a day so should have no problem with the egg count...soon the boxes will arrive...i think im going to double box them as well....they said 2-3 days after sent out...so it will give you time if you need to let them "rest" once you get them....send out day two...get by day 5....so there is plenty of time...cant wait for you to get them...setting more eggs now to huh...wow you should be getting up there in chicks now...

what kind of additions do you plan on adding....and i happy i inspired you....for that is what the thread is for...i enjoy building and being with animals...and also watching other peoples builds....it gives a lot of new ideas in ones head that you normally look past...

jim from wisconsin just gave me a super cool idea for grow out pens...and will be building some after the brooders are done...

thats awesome....cant wait to see the pics...getting like almost 20 eggs a day so should have no problem with the egg count...soon the boxes will arrive...i think im going to double box them as well....they said 2-3 days after sent out...so it will give you time if you need to let them "rest" once you get them....send out day two...get by day 5....so there is plenty of time...cant wait for you to get them...setting more eggs now to huh...wow you should be getting up there in chicks now...

what kind of additions do you plan on adding....and i happy i inspired you....for that is what the thread is for...i enjoy building and being with animals...and also watching other peoples builds....it gives a lot of new ideas in ones head that you normally look past...

jim from wisconsin just gave me a super cool idea for grow out pens...and will be building some after the brooders are done...

No chicks here. The last ones I just hatched for the lady who gave me the eggs, so I gave them back. I've got some interest in the SS chicks so I may sell them and try to buy some SS chicks for new blood.

My backyard has totally gone to the dogs and birds. There's nothing nice left. So I'm going to work on a problem area right off my back porch. The chickens practically live in the porch, and the dogs are always tracking in sand and hay. So I'm going to working in fencing, grass and greenery, a retaining wall, and pathway to make it look more like a patio and less like a barn.

i feel the same way....no more back yard...just birds...and soon a 30'x36' duck enclosure with a pond in the back yard...infront of all the other pens...when its warmer out...i can look out the kitchen window and see 20 plus chickens and two dogs sunbathing on the back porch....it went from a hobby to a job now....

i feel the same way....no more back yard...just birds...and soon a 30'x36' duck enclosure with a pond in the back yard...infront of all the other pens...when its warmer out...i can look out the kitchen window and see 20 plus chickens and two dogs sunbathing on the back porch....it went from a hobby to a job now....

What does your whole backyard look like?

Well, there it is. Typical southern porch with a deep freeze on it. :lau We don't have a barn, shed, garage, carport, or other type of "outbuilding" so that's my chicken storage.

As you can see, it's a huge mess. There's never been grass back there, and erosion is pretty evident.

About a week ago I took my kids on a walk and dragged home a sapling that fell in a storm. It was in two sections, about 20 ft. and about 14 ft. I'm cutting it right now to start making the fence.

I don't have any money, ever. So everything I do is on a "shoestring" budget. Hopefully my only costs will be sand and new plants. I'll keep a running tally.

lol
this is just five seconds ago
five sections of pheasants

four sections of pheasants where the blue tarp is...red shed is where the chickens are
edited to add....the section in front of the blue tarp pens is where the duck pen and pond will be....that area right there is 30x36

the two greenhouses are where the peafowl are...and no that stuff wasnt outside the entire time...it was all packed into the greenhouse on the left...but when i got the last 7 peafowl then everything was moved outside...to the left of the greenhouses in the corner there is a 25x25' pen that is used for a quarantine pen...the three coops to the left of that is what i am currently working on...hoping to get it done tomorrow...but in minus 20 below....its hard to work outside for any period of time...these three pens are what the cemani and honas will be house in...all the pens built will have a roof over them before the end of the year....thats the goal anyway...a dump truck of sand will be dropping a load and that will be going in each pen....

small 2x4 brooder has the one month old chicks in them right now

they are getting moved to a 4x4 right next to it later tonight...finishing the top and the door on the front side of it....

can you tell we got some snow...not so much as tony on the east coast...which im so happy that stayed over there....

Last edited:
lol this is just five seconds ago five sections of pheasants four sections of pheasants where the blue tarp is...red shed is where the chickens are edited to add....the section in front of the blue tarp pens is where the duck pen and pond will be....that area right there is 30x36 the two greenhouses are where the peafowl are...and no that stuff wasnt outside the entire time...it was all packed into the greenhouse on the left...but when i got the last 7 peafowl then everything was moved outside...to the left of the greenhouses in the corner there is a 25x25' pen that is used for a quarantine pen...the three coops to the left of that is what i am currently working on...hoping to get it done tomorrow...but in minus 20 below....its hard to work outside for any period of time...these three pens are what the cemani and honas will be house in...all the pens built will have a roof over them before the end of the year....thats the goal anyway...a dump truck of sand will be dropping a load and that will be going in each pen.... small 2x4 brooder has the one month old chicks in them right now they are getting moved to a 4x4 right next to it later tonight...finishing the top and the door on the front side of it.... can you tell we got some snow...not so much as tony on the east coast...which im so happy that stayed over there....
Lovley set up! I wish to have something like that some day... Even without the snow here, the cold isn't fun either lol.

Back
Top Bottom