Building the coop!

Kristencardany

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
Dutchess County, NY
Started building a 4x8 coop that I found plans foron pintrest by TheCreativeMom. So far looking great.. does the height look too short??
20200406_202306.jpg

20200406_202315.jpg

Looking good!

If it's not too late I would raise the roof (or at minimum make sure you can open the roof) so you don't have to bend over to clean it or to reach inside. I have a small prefab coop which requires me to lean into and clean out and it's a real pain, I hate it, my back gets stiff from holding myself at such an odd angle while bending over and pulling bedding out for a few minutes.

Will the sides open? If not, you should make them open otherwise there will be areas you cannot reach from the outside (unless you have long ape-like arms like me!).

One back side (an 8ft side) will fully open for clean out, a door on a 4ft side for chickens, and nest boxes on opposite side. I wanted to build it so theres more height but my husband who is the main builder said it wasn't necessary and that it would complicate the plans. I have bantam chickens so I'm hoping the height isn't an issue I think it's about 3 feet in height then the roost bars then the roof space.

One back side (an 8ft side) will fully open for clean out, a door on a 4ft side for chickens, and nest boxes on opposite side. I wanted to build it so theres more height but my husband who is the main builder said it wasn't necessary and that it would complicate the plans. I have bantam chickens so I'm hoping the height isn't an issue I think it's about 3 feet in height then the roost bars then the roof space.
Looks good! Keep us posted. I'm looking for a neighborhood-friendly coop design myself. I'll have about 6 RIR hens.

I would add another door or hinge the roof opposite the door you currently plan. Otherwise how will you reach the far side (4ft away)?

The height isn't for the birds, it's for you! If he's not willing to budge on the roof, hinge things and make more doors, in my opinion, from above.

Imagine opening that 8ft door and...
1) bending over to reach 4ft across the bottom of the coop (hopefully with nothing in the way) and trying to pull bedding, poop, and other stuff out.
or
2) standing upright and reaching down to scoop/push the bedding out.

#2 is my preference! :)

@jthornton built this coop then had to modify for better function.

The only thing you will have room for is roost bars. Not enough height for anything else.

Make sure you have access from both sides!

Add full ventilation to the top section, something I failed to see up front.

Here's the one I built and had to modify several times just to be able to use it.

JT

Looking good!

If it's not too late I would raise the roof (or at minimum make sure you can open the roof) so you don't have to bend over to clean it or to reach inside. I have a small prefab coop which requires me to lean into and clean out and it's a real pain, I hate it, my back gets stiff from holding myself at such an odd angle while bending over and pulling bedding out for a few minutes.

Will the sides open? If not, you should make them open otherwise there will be areas you cannot reach from the outside (unless you have long ape-like arms like me!).
I have the same issue with my small prefab. I have only 2 chickens but cleaning is a real pain literally & figuratively. I ain't no spring chicken lol.

Back
Top Bottom