Built my new brooder

encorepistol

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
MO
Got tired of my old brooder taking up too much space since it was like 3'6"x8' and 3' tall so decided to make a double stacked one. It is 6'6" tall to the top from the floor and has 2 compartments that are 2'Wx4'Lx2'H . I wire in a wafer thermostat to control the temp inside and use a ceramic light socket to install a 250 watt bulb which is going to be replaced by an infrared ceramic heat emitter as soon as they arrive. I had to insulate it with 1 inch blue board to keep the heat stable at night since temps still are down in the teens but it is working perfect now.
26015_dsc_0036_small.jpg

With residents added.
26015_dsc_0084_small.jpg

That is very nice!
smile.png
I want one like yours but have no outbuilding/garage to keep them in. Does the horizontal light do better than a top hanging one? I know it gives more space but I wondered if the chicks can cool down enough away from the light.

Don't really know about the position of the light its just the way I always do it. With the wafer I am able to keep it at a fairly steady temp at a given height. The chicks move around freely and are never huddled up or look overheated. I keep an eye on them religiously to make sure how they are acting.

Love it. The window is great. Kind of looks like an aquarium. I would set up my chair right in front and be entertained for hours.

Back
Top Bottom