buk buk buk ....... BAGOCK!

What does it mean when a rooster says buk buk buk buk buk buk ....... BAGOCK! ?
He seems to do it when he doesn't like what someone (human) is doing.
The circumstances have an influence.
However, if for example he makes this noise when you walk past him while he his with his hens and I've understood what you've typed translated from chicken;) I would say it's the non critical alarm call.
There is an alarm call for aerial predators, another for ground predators and what I think you are describing which the roosters here will give when one of the dogs here passes by or some other creature (including humans) which is known and doesn't warrant either of the other two predator warning calls.

agreed... its a minor alarm call, but he shouldn't be doing it for humans, unless you do something strange or startling. My old rooster didn't make that call except for predators, or I startled him. Same with my dog. He ignored the dog unless the dog did something that surprised him. In both instances of surprise, he'd stop after one or two calls, because there was no threat.

My Mr. Roo does this all the time. When he can’t see one of his girls he goes nuts and does this very loudly until all chickens are right next to him. He will also do it when one of his hens starts cackling after laying an egg but it’s normally a little softer. I think it’s a distress call for all things that bother the Roo. It’s his way of protecting the ladies, I guess. :idunno

agreed... its a minor alarm call, but he shouldn't be doing it for humans, unless you do something strange or startling. My old rooster didn't make that call except for predators, or I startled him. Same with my dog. He ignored the dog unless the dog did something that surprised him. In both instances of surprise, he'd stop after one or two calls, because there was no threat.

He did this today when he saw me get a hold of my dog with a scissors in my hand (grooming), lol.
Otherwise he does it when I am doing something that I am pretty sure looks strange to him like a seemingly random repetitive movement.

The circumstances have an influence.
However, if for example he makes this noise when you walk past him while he his with his hens and I've understood what you've typed translated from chicken;) I would say it's the non critical alarm call.
There is an alarm call for aerial predators, another for ground predators and what I think you are describing which the roosters here will give when one of the dogs here passes by or some other creature (including humans) which is known and doesn't warrant either of the other two predator warning calls.

This makes a lot of sense. He does velociraptor growls at other threats, especially those in the sky. If he starts with the buk buk buk..., I will yell bagock and it always causes him to force out the bagock weather or not it was time for it, lol.

My Mr. Roo does this all the time. When he can’t see one of his girls he goes nuts and does this very loudly until all chickens are right next to him. He will also do it when one of his hens starts cackling after laying an egg but it’s normally a little softer. I think it’s a distress call for all things that bother the Roo. It’s his way of protecting the ladies, I guess. :idunno

Yes that makes sense as well "distress call for all things that bother the Roo" - XD I love it.

Back
Top Bottom