Bulb question. Please help. :)

I am on the red bulb team
thumbsup.gif
I have observed that white makes them more flighty.

I read that you should get a dull coloured bulb (red/blue) so that they could sleep easily. I guess a clear bulb would be like having the sun on constantly.

We use a red heat lamp and two 45 watt blue bulbs from the hardware store hanging from basic fixtures- ducklings are in a kiddie pool. Our main point of reference comes from our origional breeder Dave Holderread, it is in his book Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks and is based on many studies that show blue light is easier on their eyes- I use a heat lamp so I dont have to hang so many lights...

I have a question and a dilemma too. 5 young hens...first winter. I only turn the 100 w red reptile light on if it is going to be low 20's or lower in temp. The dilemma is that the last couple of night have been milder so i didn't turn the light on before dark. Both nights when I went to button them up for the night, some are on the floor and maybe one on roost . it's like they get caught on floor because they are expecting the light to be on. As soon as I turned the red light on to see who was where, they start moving around.
So how do I get them to roost like normal on their ownif light isn't needed? I don't want to turn it on if temps are warmer.
I'm thinking I have to retrain them...lol
Maybe i need to turn light on only after they are roosted?

Back
Top Bottom