Bulge under hens beak.......any thoughts on how to proceed

I know it's difficult to take photos by yourself, can you get someone to take photos while you open the beak again? Hard to really see, but are you seeing white/yellow looking pustules or sore inside the beak and on the tongue?
Also the end of her top beak and the lower beak, there are 2 places especially that look like injury? Maybe a puncture?

Yes yellow/white pustules on the inside of her mouth on the right side so what you say also makes sense. A vet is not an option if I could obtain the medication I can treat her Metronidazole is that possible? Any other thoughts I did read a mention of garlic towards the bottom of one of those links, thank you.

And of course it sounds like I was wrong and maybe this does stem initially from the crop not really sure. It just seemed out that this popped up over night.

Last edited:
Yes yellow/white pustules on the inside of her mouth on the right side so what you say also makes sense. A vet is not an option if I could obtain the medication I can treat her Metronidazole is that possible? Any other thoughts I did read a mention of garlic towards the bottom of one of those links, thank you.

And of course it sounds like I was wrong and maybe this does stem initially from the crop not really sure.
If it's canker, that is caused by a protozoa and it's contagious. Canker treatment is with Metronidazole. 250mg given orally 2 times a day for 5-7 days. You will probably have to order it online.
It would be a good idea to look inside the beaks of your other birds. Acidified Copper Sulfate can be added to the flock's water to help as a preventative measure. You would order that online as well.

She is not well, so hopefully this will help. If you lose her, I suggest you get a necropsy through your state lab to find out exactly the cause - this information will help you going forward in knowing if you need to take preventative measures with your remaining flock.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/fish-zole-metronidazole-tablets-250
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-1

These pictures from another link are exactly her condition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cyst-tumor-under-beak-between-waddles.689227/

hen1.jpg
hen.jpg
hen.jpg

Metronidazole

Thought I was going to pick up some copper sulphate but I got lucky and found some Metronidazole locally and gave it to her along with honey water using an eye dropper to slowly drip on the inside of the bottom half of her beak. She made it through the night gave her the next dose and she was able to get her to pick at some watermelon this morning and swallow. Will update on how it goes which is either way. Thanks.

Thought I was going to pick up some copper sulphate but I got lucky and found some Metronidazole locally and gave it to her along with honey water using an eye dropper to slowly drip on the inside of the bottom half of her beak. She made it through the night gave her the next dose and she was able to get her to pick at some watermelon this morning and swallow. Will update on how it goes which is either way. Thanks.
:fl I hope she gets better.
Good idea with the watermelon.
I would try some wet soupy feed too. Scrambled egg would be good if she will take it, but if all she will do is watermelon for now, that's a start:)

I'm still wondering if this is an air sac issue because of the poultry dust. How long does it take for a canker to resolve itself? And can anyone direct me to the how to of puncturing the air sac in the throat area if that does become necessary at some point. I did attempt it in beginning not sure that I went deep enough because nothing came out except a few drops of blood and I was thinking maybe it was the wrong spot so I didn't want to continue.

If all you got from piercing the skin of the bulge is a drop or two of blood, then there is no air in it. Piercing an air sac will immediately allow the air to escape. So, I wouldn't mess with the bulge any more. Hopefully, it will decrease as the canker is resolving.

If all you got from piercing the skin of the bulge is a drop or two of blood, then there is no air in it. Piercing an air sac will immediately allow the air to escape. So, I wouldn't mess with the bulge any more. Hopefully, it will decrease as the canker is resolving.

Ah..........okay thank you very much. I thought I went pretty deep with the syringe but it was the first time I have ever done it. I will just leave it and keep an eye on her.

I'm still wondering if this is an air sac issue because of the poultry dust. How long does it take for a canker to resolve itself? And can anyone direct me to the how to of puncturing the air sac in the throat area if that does become necessary at some point. I did attempt it in beginning not sure that I went deep enough because nothing came out except a few drops of blood and I was thinking maybe it was the wrong spot so I didn't want to continue.
I agree with @azygous I would not try puncturing that again.
Just my thoughts, but I would say it's directly related to whatever is inside her beak - Canker. Could be swelling from infection, abscess or even something cancerous. Hopefully that will reduce with treatment.

You mentioned you were able to find Metronidazole locally. Do you have a photo of the product - does it have any other ingredients like Ivermectin or Praziquantel?
Is the Canker getting better (going away)?

You mentioned you were able to find Metronidazole locally. Do you have a photo of the product - does it have any other ingredients like Ivermectin or Praziquantel?
Is the Canker getting better (going away)?

Canker Max Capsules

Ingredients listed at Metrodinazole, Dimetrodazole, Thyme, Oregano,

Vita King Products

Of course I was also wondering is this legit. She looks the same although she is eating of course it goes down slowly and all wet foods. Any thoughts?

And she was cleaning herself yesterday afternoon which seems to be very positive. Just trying to help her make it and I have lost plenty of hens but always like to try.

The company does have a website where it's listed and I picked it up from a local feed shop which also works with other birds like pigeons. I pasted a shot from there website too.

Since this is for pigeons maybe I need to up the dose by 3 or 4? I left a msg with the company asking them about dosage but they will not open until Monday.

IMG_3084a.jpg
IMG_3086a.jpg
cankermax.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom