Bulging EYE!

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Speckled Sussex, age 3.5 months. A few days ago, noticed a bulging eye. Now, eye still bulging, but shut with some dried discharge.

What could possible problem be? Anyone experience this?

No other chicken is exhibiting any issues at all - no one appears sick, no one has discharge, no one has bulging eye. Our flock consists of a variety of ages and breeds.

The chicken is acting fine - eating, drinking, normal energy. Does spend a fair amount of time on a roost in the run, but likely because cant see out of one eye. Does get down and moves around the run, eats, drinks. Is not bullied or harassed that I have seen and have seen other birds join her on the roost in the run.

First day we noticed this - notice the brownish color on mucus membrane (?) inside the eye. Maybe thats a normal color, maybe not. Only this eye is bulging outward - very distinctly.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.01.07 AM.png

This morning - eye completely shut. Still bulging.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.02.11 AM.png

The discharge will have to be manipulated out because it's not like our thin pus. It's cheese like and has to be removed. How does the face smell? If you're thinking it's not coryza, do you see any type of prick or dot like the bird was bitten? I agree with above poster that it does look like Coryza

Back
Top Bottom