Bulging eye

I buy Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief drops for around $5 at most Walmarts or pharmacies. Vetericyn makes an eye wash and eye gel, but very expensive. It is a good saline eye wash for treating eye injuries. Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store is very good, but is not always available in some states. I have used plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment in my injured chicken’s eye before. Treat it 2-3 times a day. If pus is in there it can be helpful to press it out. Here is a video of that:

Poor thing!
I do see the injury/laceration. I wonder how that happened, it can be a puzzle how chickens can injure themselves.

I'd try to pull or push some of the pus out of the eye, keep it flushed out and apply your ointment.

Poor thing!
I do see the injury/laceration. I wonder how that happened, it can be a puzzle how chickens can injure themselves.

I'd try to pull or push some of the pus out of the eye, keep it flushed out and apply your ointment.
I have no idea how it happened. They are free ranging on my property from morning to night and I have rose bushes as well as a gooseberry bush which all have thorns. They do hang out there sometimes so I’m not sure if it could have happened that way. I also have a rather large rooster and she should be close to POL and I did see him corner her to mount her and was rather brutal trying to do that. Not sure if something like that can happen because of the nature of things.

Poor thing!

So I tried to get some pus out but wasn’t very successful. The eye itself seems to be fine it’s just the bulge that doesn’t seem to get any smaller. I’m still rinsing with saline solution and applying the Terramycin twice a day. She’s doing ok given the circumstances. She’s eating and drinking but she’s definitely not feeling like her normal self. Is it ok just to continue doing that and waiting to see how it goes? I feel so sad for her. She’s letting me handle her very well and I usually hang out with her after a little and give her mealworm treats. 🥺

Attachments

• 406B1A7B-7A0E-4859-AD2D-45C9FEA8315D.jpeg
    406B1A7B-7A0E-4859-AD2D-45C9FEA8315D.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 0ECF6E36-C37E-4A4C-80BE-A70DA6052B1A.jpeg
    0ECF6E36-C37E-4A4C-80BE-A70DA6052B1A.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 3
  • B5803AE9-4983-4AC1-AF09-7C63453C44EB.jpeg
    B5803AE9-4983-4AC1-AF09-7C63453C44EB.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 2
If you can put vetricyn on the outside of her eye out should bring the inflammation down I have used it successfully for an eye injury on one of my hens. Try to make sure she's eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom