Bully Blue Orpington!?

SIMPleChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Utah
I checked on my 8 week old chicks this evening and all of the sudden 2 of them have raw backs and feathers everywhere! I stood there to try and see if I could figure out what was going on, and my blue orpington went around and was pecking them! I just moved them to the coop 2 days ago. They have tons of room, food and water... there was no issues in the brooder. Who has suggestions!?

Attachments

• 20220504_171955.jpg
    20220504_171955.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220504_171939.jpg
    20220504_171939.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220504_171910.jpg
    20220504_171910.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 2
First, I'd check for any way a possible predator could be getting in.

On the Orpington herself, I got a Lemon Cuckoo Orpington pullet who is ruthless and pecks the same area. You might need to remove the Orpington from the flock. If you have a smaller bird cage, you can put her in there with a floor so she's not alone. (Some bird cages a young chicken can go in easily. But if you have one that she could get stuck in, don't leave her in there.)

First, I'd check for any way a possible predator could be getting in.

On the Orpington herself, I got a Lemon Cuckoo Orpington pullet who is ruthless and pecks the same area. You might need to remove the Orpington from the flock. If you have a smaller bird cage, you can put her in there with a floor so she's not alone. (Some bird cages a young chicken can go in easily. But if you have one that she could get stuck in, don't leave her in there.)
I checked my coop and there isn't a way for anything to get in, so we're good there! As for the orpington, all separate her tomorrow if there is still an issue. I put Blu kote on the 2 chicks, so the wounds should heal quickly and are less noticeable.

Your birds are probably going through a juvenile molt and the orpington could've pecked a new pin feather and decided it likes the taste of blood. The Blu Kote should keep it less noticeable but you still may have to separate her as it can become a habit for some birds.

Your birds are probably going through a juvenile molt and the orpington could've pecked a new pin feather and decided it likes the taste of blood. The Blu Kote should keep it less noticeable but you still may have to separate her as it can become a habit for some birds.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom