Bully chick!!

chickenchichi

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
McDonough, GA

I adore my polish chick, Henrietta, but she is a terrible bully! She is always a nervous mess, but she will go from chick to chick and bonk them on their heads! We decided to divide our eight chicks into two 4-chick brooders for now, and that's seemed to buy at least half our flock peace, but in the other the pecking continues.

Her best friend and first broodermate, Artist the Easter Egger, is our smallest chick but always manages to escape any pecking. Oddly enough, when Henrietta is put in the brooder with Wynona, our other Easter Egger, she similarly won't peck her.

Does anyone more experienced have any advice on how to mess with moody children?

From what I have read, and I am no expert, but I have read a lot! It is recommended to separate the bully and then when you return her to the flock she should be a little more calm. Take it or leave it, but that's what I would try if they were mine.

From what I have read, and I am no expert, but I have read a lot!  It is recommended to separate the bully and then when you return her to the flock she should be a little more calm.  Take it or leave it, but that's what I would try if they were mine.

I wondered about that, but I worried about leaving her alone!

I wondered about that, but I worried about leaving her alone!
Well, maybe only isolate her for short periods and if she does it again isolate her for a little longer? I would try to stop that pecking if it's excessive and not just natural establishment of the order. Hopefully you will get more replies and ideas. I love this forum!

Well, maybe only isolate her for short periods and if she does it again isolate her for a little longer?  I would try to stop that pecking if it's excessive and not just natural establishment of the order.  Hopefully you will get more replies and ideas.  I love this forum!

I'll definitely try that and see how it goes, I feel so sorry for the other chicks!

Please read my article on how to deal with a bully chick. It's the fourth one in the list of four linked below my post.

Pecking is common among very young chicks, and it's easily trained out of them by giving the chick a quick poke on the back each time you see the behavior. It usually stops the bad behavior in just a couple days.

Put all the chicks back together. They need to be a unit. The discipline will work better that way, too.

Please read my article on how to deal with a bully chick. It's the fourth one in the list of four linked below my post.

Pecking is common among very young chicks, and it's easily trained out of them by giving the chick a quick poke on the back each time you see the behavior. It usually stops the bad behavior in just a couple days.

Put all the chicks back together. They need to be a unit. The discipline will work better that way, too.

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious! I'll be sure to try this, thanks so much for the help!

That's good to know!

Back
Top Bottom