Bully Chicken! Any Suggestions?

Is there a way to tell by the shaft of the feather if it came out naturally or yanked?

Although that patch is terrible, it doesn't look that red or inflamed to me. Can you tell if it feels like those are feathers coming back in, like pokey? If they were pulled they won't grow back in until molt. I did see that you've had the others for 5 months, but am not sure how old they are total. One thing that stinks with both chickens and dogs is the one being picked on usually get it from others as well. They all join in.

Also, yes she will try to get away but when unsure what to do will probably just hunker down and try to take it. Usually protecting their face. Especially at roost time.

@donrae What is the difference between molt and hard molt?

It didn't feel like there was anything under the skin, and I agree, now that you mention it. It doesn't look red or irritated like I'd imagine it looking if they were traumatically yanked out before their time. Plus, she laid an egg yesterday, if that says anything about her stress level.

My oldest 2 - the picked-on chicken and another I took originally - are about 3 years old. The 2 new ones - the bully and her buddy - are about 2. The "babies" are shedding feathers everywhere, but they're the big wing and tail feathers as far as I can tell. Plus, all of them are solid-colored birds. The little fluffy feathers I'm finding are brown with black speckles. Only one chicken has that coloration.

Thank you again for your help. I'm really hoping the peepers will solve the problem. They should arrive sometime today.

It didn't feel like there was anything under the skin, and I agree, now that you mention it. It doesn't look red or irritated like I'd imagine it looking if they were traumatically yanked out before their time. Plus, she laid an egg yesterday, if that says anything about her stress level.

My oldest 2 - the picked-on chicken and another I took originally - are about 3 years old. The 2 new ones - the bully and her buddy - are about 2. The "babies" are shedding feathers everywhere, but they're the big wing and tail feathers as far as I can tell. Plus, all of them are solid-colored birds. The little fluffy feathers I'm finding are brown with black speckles. Only one chicken has that coloration.

Thank you again for your help. I'm really hoping the peepers will solve the problem. They should arrive sometime today.
Your babies won't molt this year but still have tons of feather exchange as they are growing. It would surprise me if all of your older ones don't molt though. But maybe not all at the same time. 1 of mine waited until the dead of winter 1 year. I felt kinda bad for her because it was chilly.

To me it's exciting every time I get an egg still. At 3 years old it would be normal to slow a little, especially depending on breed. Originally I planned to let everyone stay through retirement, but we decided we will eat our birds when it is time. I used to have only 3 but are now up to 48. To me even 3 eggs a week is a good enough #. I don't have to have them laying everyday.

Sometimes the stress level will be indicated inside the egg. Like weak shell, wrinkled yolk, blood or meat spots. Lot's of things effect laying. But you are certainly doing your best to provide a happy environment! Good luck with ALL your ladies.
smile.png

How fun would it be to see googly eyes on those?
tongue.png

Yes! That would be hilarious!

Just thought I'd update again. It's been a week, and there is peace in the chicken yard again. I've even caught the bully and the picked-on chicken going to roost at the same time and sleeping side by side in the coop. I have no idea how long I should leave the peepers on though. Can you take them off after she's been nice for a couple weeks?

As for the feathers I was finding, I'm very certain they're coming out on their own. I've checked on her back a few times since, and there are new feathers growing in.

Thank you again, everyone who helped. I really appreciate it!

Yes! That would be hilarious!

Just thought I'd update again. It's been a week, and there is peace in the chicken yard again. I've even caught the bully and the picked-on chicken going to roost at the same time and sleeping side by side in the coop. I have no idea how long I should leave the peepers on though. Can you take them off after she's been nice for a couple weeks?

As for the feathers I was finding, I'm very certain they're coming out on their own. I've checked on her back a few times since, and there are new feathers growing in.

Thank you again, everyone who helped. I really appreciate it!
That's great!

I think you can experiment with your timing on the peepers since all birds are individuals. Maybe with some feathers grown back in the victim won't be as enticing to her bully. Crazy how many feathers are everywhere sometimes. They are biodegradable, but...

I will look forward to an update after peepers come off if you don't mind... And maybe a pic or two, goofy eyed peeper pics welcome!
wink.png

I had planned on taking off the peepers today since that would've been 2 weeks, but now both victim (Mozart, because it's getting tiring referring to pecking order rank instead of name) and bully (Dumpling) are molting now. Mozart's back looks even more terrible with the new feathers coming in and the old ones coming out, and I don't want to risk getting everyone started picking on her.

The analogy about a pillow exploding was spot on for Dumpling. I came home Thursday and thought for sure something had gotten in the fence and mauled her. There are drifts of white feathers EVERYWHERE.

Stinks when timing doesn't agree with my plan... or yours.
hmm.png

I am unsure how long it takes to quit looking so bad from molt. Also stinks that the more docile one is often at the bottom and others like to join in on the harassment. It happens in many species including dogs and human and well, obviously chickens as well.

Mozart and Dumpling, cute names.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom