Bully chickens

MalHagger95

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2018
Louisiana, USA
I just recently acquired a small flock of chickens 1 standard rooster, 1 bantam rooster, and 5 standard hens. I had 2 standard sized hens already so I added them to the flock. After a few pecks here and there they were fine. I also have a single, young muscovy (the other 3 were victims of some predator) that I tried integrating as well. A few of the chickens ganged up on the duck and would not leave her alone. Eventually things settled down but every now and then they attack it again. Today I pulled the duck out because they jumped it again while I was feeding, and drew blood. Surprisingly, the roosters dont bother the duck, it's mainly the hens. Is there anything I can do to integrate this duck into the flock? Normally I would just send the mean chickens to freezer camp and let the nicer ones eventually sort things out but this flock came from my grandpa who just recently passed, so I'd like to avoid that if possible. I eventually plan on getting a few more ducks and building a separate run, but it's not possible at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom