Bully girls:(

Howdy!

Don't worry too much about the story being too long, every good chicken owner rambles a little bit about their girls! Also, your birds' names are cute.
Try giving them something new to do, lettuce hanging in the coop or something. You never know what is going to be their magic cure! Sometimes all a bird needs is something exciting.

Let me know what works!

~ClickCluckMoo~

My Polish hen gets the back of her head pecked and her feathers plucked off so I put a little vicks on it every day and it seems to deter the other hens. I tried the blue kote. It didn't work well and it was a nasty mess

We are new to having backyard hens as well and we have a bully hen. She is plucking feathers from the other hen. We only had 2 hens to start with and they are in a 14x14 horse stall that we converted into a coop. I hate to think we will have to rehome the bully but it sounds like that's the only answer. Thanks for the thread.

We are new to having backyard hens as well and we have a bully hen. She is plucking feathers from the other hen. We only had 2 hens to start with and they are in a 14x14 horse stall that we converted into a coop. I hate to think we will have to rehome the bully but it sounds like that's the only answer. Thanks for the thread.
Do they ever get outside or is the stall all they have?

Idle minds are the devil's workshop! It could be that your girls are just bored. I would suggest giving them some kind of treat that will keep them busy, vegetables or other food scraps hung in their coop, or a tray of dirt or soil that they can pick through. All of those methods have worked for me when my birds get tired of their surroundings. I had some baby turkeys one time in a little tub in the bathroom. They got bored and picked on each other. We got a piece of cabbage and hung it in their cage and all day those little poults would attack the cabbage. It was so cute! Good luck with your bully girls!

@annie511 I have had Polishes get picked on, too. Their exciting afros are just too much funk for the other chickens to handle, I guess.
tongue.png

Vicks is another great fix for wounds because it smells so strongly. I'm glad that your other birds got the message!

~ClickCluckMoo~

We have been turning our hens out for 3-4 hours a day now and they are much happier. Some days they get out longer. Huge difference we have seen no more pecking which makes me happy.
Thanks for the help!

Howdy again! Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for a while.
I'm so glad to hear that your girls are getting along! That absolutely tickles my toes! It really is lovely to see a happy little flock picking through the fresh autumn leaves. Especially when they are doing it withing picking on each other!

Congratulations!

~ClickCluckMoo~

Back
Top Bottom