Bully hens

cathloveydovey

Chai Tea Latte
6 Years
Nov 2, 2017
Colorado
Hi! So about a few months ago like a week before Christmas our flock got attacked by a fox. Three are currently alive and well, except for one. I think the fox broke her leg, she healed by herself but still has a limp. That's not what I'm worried about though. The two other hens are always attacking her to the point where she refuses to come out of the coop. I took Lily the bullied hen- out of the coop and put her in an enclosed space with food and water and shes eating and drinking ravenously. Silver though, is trying to attack Lily through the fence, scaring the crap out of her and shooing her from the food and water. I pick her up because she corners herself and place her back by the water and food, she then proceeds to eat and drink more and more. Anyways, is there anyway I can get them to stop attacking and bulling Lily? Im going to keep her in a her separate pen for now, but I dont know what to do. All help is appreciated.

Maybe use a bigger pen and get that feed and water away from the fence. I think she just needs to be re-introduced to the flock after her recovery. It may take a while.
She already is recovered, she cant stop limping though and because they keep beating her away from the food and water shes getting sicker and sicker I think I should just keep her away from them for good

Hi! So about a few months ago like a week before Christmas our flock got attacked by a fox. Three are currently alive and well, except for one. I think the fox broke her leg, she healed by herself but still has a limp. That's not what I'm worried about though. The two other hens are always attacking her to the point where she refuses to come out of the coop. I took Lily the bullied hen- out of the coop and put her in an enclosed space with food and water and shes eating and drinking ravenously. Silver though, is trying to attack Lily through the fence, scaring the crap out of her and shooing her from the food and water. I pick her up because she corners herself and place her back by the water and food, she then proceeds to eat and drink more and more. Anyways, is there anyway I can get them to stop attacking and bulling Lily? Im going to keep her in a her separate pen for now, but I dont know what to do. All help is appreciated.
Separate the mean hens.
If you can, put them where they cant see each other for a week or so. Reset the flock dynamic.
I don't know how it will work with a gimped hen, but it will reset the "lead hen".

The key is to separate the mean chicken, not the bullied chicken.

Separate the mean hens.
If you can, put them where they cant see each other for a week or so. Reset the flock dynamic.
I don't know how it will work with a gimped hen, but it will reset the "lead hen".

The key is to separate the mean chicken, not the bullied chicken.
I separated Lily and she seems fine, the others have gone about their own business

Back
Top Bottom