Bullying on one chicken first thing in the morning

Mae98

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
My entire flock of 8 is about 14 weeks old. I only have 1 confirmed rooster (check my post on the gender and breed board to help me sex my flock!). All 8 chicks have grown up together with no problems and I do not see many fights or problems take place during the day. However, I’ve noticed a lot of feathers being pulled out in the chicken run, and most seem to be coming from the same chicken, but also not to the point of which she has any patches missing. I have seen one of my naked neck silkies grab her by her Pom hair and pull her around the coop. This morning when I let the gang out of the coop, I saw right off the bat my confirmed rooster latch onto her back and rip out her feathers. After that one of my naked neck silkies(different from previous) began chasing her and pulling on her feathers. And when I thought it was all done, one of my (up until NOW) most laid back docile chickens grabbed her by her feathers. After the little bullying routine I didn’t see any of them pick on her the rest of the day. I have previously noticed that the bullied chicken tended to do her own thing when free ranging, but assumed it was because her feathers were in the way of her eyes. I have since then cut her bangs and she seems to be with the group more. I just don’t understand what this routine of picking on her they seem to have is, as it explains all the mysterious pulled out feathers in the run.

The victim
IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_3927.jpeg

Caught red handed bullies

IMG_4335.jpeg
IMG_4340.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg
IMG_4343.jpeg

Try getting some bright ribbon and tying a few strands around one of her tail feathers. A small bell would be good, too. The other chickens will be scared of the dangling, blowing, crazy ribbon and bell so they'll run from her, making the victim think that they're really scared of her so she'll be more likely to chase the others when the ribbon is removed.

My entire flock of 8 is about 14 weeks old. I only have 1 confirmed rooster (check my post on the gender and breed board to help me sex my flock!). All 8 chicks have grown up together with no problems and I do not see many fights or problems take place during the day. However, I’ve noticed a lot of feathers being pulled out in the chicken run, and most seem to be coming from the same chicken, but also not to the point of which she has any patches missing. I have seen one of my naked neck silkies grab her by her Pom hair and pull her around the coop. This morning when I let the gang out of the coop, I saw right off the bat my confirmed rooster latch onto her back and rip out her feathers. After that one of my naked neck silkies(different from previous) began chasing her and pulling on her feathers. And when I thought it was all done, one of my (up until NOW) most laid back docile chickens grabbed her by her feathers. After the little bullying routine I didn’t see any of them pick on her the rest of the day. I have previously noticed that the bullied chicken tended to do her own thing when free ranging, but assumed it was because her feathers were in the way of her eyes. I have since then cut her bangs and she seems to be with the group more. I just don’t understand what this routine of picking on her they seem to have is, as it explains all the mysterious pulled out feathers in the run.

The victim
View attachment 3547448
View attachment 3547464
Caught red handed bullies

View attachment 3547456View attachment 3547458View attachment 3547460View attachment 3547462
I have had crested Polish birds and Houdans. I found they were frequently victims when kept with some other breeds. It seems chickens sense vulnerability and shyness in other chickens. The limited vision of these birds makes them prone to attacks from others or predators. Good luck and best wishes. BTW, the messy and stinky pine tar applied generously to pecked areas do discourage further attacks after the bully gets a taste or two of the potent stuff!

You bullies might be males getting hormonal and attempting to mate. First thing in the morning and just before getting into the coop at night are the preferred mating times

Back
Top Bottom