Bullying or pecking order?

Silkies never stop going broody, even when they no longer lay eggs.
The pecking nonsense will cease once they've been broken.:)
The pecking is a bit better but still there. Trying to break them but they are stubborn little chooks. Will also give them some boredom busters to keep the minds busy. Thanks.

Your post came at a great time!
I was just asking this same question. I didn’t know you can cool down a broody hen! Good luck!
And if I might add I am seeing some pecking or bullying in my coop. One of my New Hampshire reds has been staying out longer and not wanting to roost. So I started to watch them. And one of my black dominques (rooster? Or hen? Not sure yet) has been pecking at her that she squaks loadly. This Dominique is called Woody because he loves to peck even as a little one. So woody is reaching over another hen to peck at “Honey” New Hampshire Red.

I am so new at this! Do I remove the hen or the bully? Is this normal? Sigh I don’t know what to do.
I got mad at woody and crawled into the coop and grabbed him.
Time out for you mister until I research what to to do. Woody is in the dog crate in the garage.
Please share what to do.

They are 11 weeks old.
No wattle or crowns just a small one.
They free range daily. The run is 8 by 12 feet with the coop being 6 feet by 7 with 2 roosts and only 7 chickens.
This squabble happened at night when they were trying to roost.
Maybe I need a book!
To op thanks so much for bringing this up! Didn’t know about the broody hen!

Your post came at a great time!
I was just asking this same question. I didn’t know you can cool down a broody hen! Good luck!
And if I might add I am seeing some pecking or bullying in my coop. One of my New Hampshire reds has been staying out longer and not wanting to roost. So I started to watch them. And one of my black dominques (rooster? Or hen? Not sure yet) has been pecking at her that she squaks loadly. This Dominique is called Woody because he loves to peck even as a little one. So woody is reaching over another hen to peck at “Honey” New Hampshire Red.

I am so new at this! Do I remove the hen or the bully? Is this normal? Sigh I don’t know what to do.
I got mad at woody and crawled into the coop and grabbed him.
Time out for you mister until I research what to to do. Woody is in the dog crate in the garage.
Please share what to do.
I'm also new at this, but this forum and website is great. I got lots of great tips from knowledgeable people here. You can try and break your broody hen by closing off the nesting boxes and taking her of the est daily. You can also try to put an ice pack under her to cool her down, otherwise she must go into a separate cage with no straw or hay underneath and some food and water for a few days. I can only tell what I've read here on this site. Maybe separate the bully first for a few days so he can go down the pecking order and then try the broody hen.

They are 11 weeks old.
No wattle or crowns just a small one.
They free range daily. The run is 8 by 12 feet with the coop being 6 feet by 7 with 2 roosts and only 7 chickens.
This squabble happened at night when they were trying to roost.
Maybe I need a book!
To op thanks so much for bringing this up! Didn’t know about the broody hen!
Mine is a year old and it only started now. Could be because they are both hens and broody. The run and coop sounds big enough. Maybe try some boredom busters to keep their minds busy. If you still have questions, maybe start a new thread. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom