Bullying please help!

Miss Kitty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
I have one hen who is bullying another hen. She is bigger and won't let the other hen eat. She sidles up to her pecks her head pulling out feathers hurting her. They always got along before but in the last week I have noticed the smaller hen really not eatting. Now I know why. Why is this happening? Does anyone else have this problem of bullying. There is no rooster just three hens.

I'd try to put in at least two different feeders into the coop, far away from each other, and see if that solves the problem. How old are your hens? They might just be finalizing their pecking order, and it may calm down in a few days. If not, you may have to think about isolating her.

What is the size difference between the hens? Is it like bantam vs. standard? If so, you might be able to put a cardboard box or such in the coop and cut an opening just big enough for the smaller hen to fit in and give her food in there.

Hope this helps, and
welcome-byc.gif

Well tonight I isolated Betty put her in another wire dog cage with a roost in it. The other two are in the coop together doing fine. In the morning I will let all three out. Betty better behave herself and not start picking on Lucy. If I put Betty alone and not let her roam the yard like the other two do...well she could become mad and never get along and I will have to give her away. I wish chickens could reason but her days will be numbered if she can't get along. I will give her afew days to stop bullying Lucy. thanks for your advice on the separating.

Back
Top Bottom