bumble bee problem.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kesta, May 14, 2009.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    some bimble bees are trying to make my chicken coop there new home! the things are humongous! they r literally chewing into the wood to make a hole big enough to fit into. how can i be rid of the things????????????????? they are horrible! please help!

2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well, usually you can spray liquid seven dust on the wood and the bees usually leave it alone, but don t know about spraying it while the birds are there. is the wood treated? the bees love untreated wood, so you might consider that.

3. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Are the ones that you're seeing black? If so they are Carpenter Bees and I too have a problem with them as they have invaded my porch and have damaged it alot. Tar and enclosing the entrance to kill their larvae

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Bumblebees are really good pollinators, so they're beneficial for your yard. If you google "bumblebee house" there are lots of sites showing how to build a house for them, which might encourage them to leave your coop alone. Once you give them an alternative place to live try plugging the holes they've made (make sure they're not inside first!) [​IMG]
    Hope this helps!

5. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of spraying them mount a bee house on the outside. It's a block of wood with 5/16 holes drilled in it, 3 to 6 inches deep. If the holes are there they will happily use them instead of making their own.

6. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    yeah see the thing is......... we want em dead and gone! we dont wanna make no bee house!

7. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    I don't know if it works, but I heard once that if you paint the area that they are making their holes in white it will stop them. It's worth a try.

8. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I recommend putting Tar in every hole that they have made and enclosing it with wood caps that way their larvae will die. But it will work best to kill the adults when they go in their holes which can also die if you put tar in as quickly as possible before they come out and enclose it quick before the tar spills out

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My chickens have been catching and eating them!

Laurie

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:carpenter bee's come a lot of different colors. the main ones that are seen (at least by us here in the south) are black bodied with a yellow/whiteish head, They're often called "White headed bees".

Towards people they're harmless.. they may chase you of course but that's all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by