Bumble foot and possible spreading infection

NonnieBuns

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
One of my rainbow dixies possibly has bumble foot. Tonight I noticed a red bump on each foot between the toes, one was squishy and the other a little hard. Are these signs of infection? Should I try to squeeze the infection out at all, or just treat from the bottom of the feet where the bumble foot is with vetericyn?

Could you possibly get some pictures? It will help us see what's going on.
Did you see any scabs on the bumps or on the bottom of her feet?
There were scabs on the bottom of her feet. The red, swollen bumps were on the tops of her feet, between her toes, with no scabs.
We soaked her feet, pulled the scabs and what bit of the kernels we could out from the bottom of her feet, cleaned out with hydrogen peroxide, wiped them clean, then sprayed vetericyn on those and covered them with neosporin and gauze. The red swollen bumps we punctured and lanced similar to the scabs/wounds on the bottom of her feet. Almost instantly, puss/infection and kernels came out of them. We treated them the same way we did the scabbed areas. She's now resting by herself inside the house. Tomorrow we'll check on her and change out her bandages, putting fresh vetericyn and newsprint on her. We sadly didn't have a scalpel to use but have ordered one, so we might have to repeat some of what we did to get all of the kernels from the scabbed areas.
The frustrating part of this is that she had given no signs that her feet were bothering her. She walked/run just fine, even running up to me when I would come out with treats or to fill their feed. She wasn't limping or trying to stay off of her feet at all. Everything I had seen or read said that they would be trying to do things like that if they had bumble foot.

Could you possibly get some pictures? It will help us see what's going on.
Did you see any scabs on the bumps or on the bottom of her feet?
Sorry, I didn't get pictures, but I'll try to take some when we change things out tomorrow.

There were scabs on the bottom of her feet. The red, swollen bumps were on the tops of her feet, between her toes, with no scabs.
We soaked her feet, pulled the scabs and what bit of the kernels we could out from the bottom of her feet, cleaned out with hydrogen peroxide, wiped them clean, then sprayed vetericyn on those and covered them with neosporin and gauze. The red swollen bumps we punctured and lanced similar to the scabs/wounds on the bottom of her feet. Almost instantly, puss/infection and kernels came out of them. We treated them the same way we did the scabbed areas. She's now resting by herself inside the house. Tomorrow we'll check on her and change out her bandages, putting fresh vetericyn and newsprint on her. We sadly didn't have a scalpel to use but have ordered one, so we might have to repeat some of what we did to get all of the kernels from the scabbed areas.
The frustrating part of this is that she had given no signs that her feet were bothering her. She walked/run just fine, even running up to me when I would come out with treats or to fill their feed. She wasn't limping or trying to stay off of her feet at all. Everything I had seen or read said that they would be trying to do things like that if they had bumble foot.
Sounds like you’re taking care of her perfectly! Keep up what you’re doing.

Sometimes chickens won’t limp if they have bumblefoot.
After doing what you did to her feet, she could be limping a bit at some point soon maybe.

Sounds like you’re taking care of her perfectly! Keep up what you’re doing.

Sometimes chickens won’t limp if they have bumblefoot.
After doing what you did to her feet, she could be limping a bit at some point soon maybe.
We figured she might be. I know I would be. 😅

When I removed the scabs, I didn't see any kernel come out with it, but did see little chunks of it in the foot, so we dug those out as best we could. However, it it's still very hard around the area where the scabs were. It looked like we were maybe starting to get chicken instead of kernel, but with it being hard alone the scabbed areas still, could that still be kernel? Should we cut some more when the scalpel arrives?

We figured she might be. I know I would be. 😅

When I removed the scabs, I didn't see any kernel come out with it, but did see little chunks of it in the foot, so we dug those out as best we could.
Good, you need to get all the kernel out that you can.
However, it it's still very hard around the area where the scabs were.
That's probably normal. I think it could just be swelling.
It looked like we were maybe starting to get chicken instead of kernel, but with it being hard alone the scabbed areas still, could that still be kernel? Should we cut some more when the scalpel arrives?
How similar did it look to what you knew was kernel?
I don't think you should cut more just yet when you get the scalpel.

If it's kernel, it won't bleed. It will be white or yellow, not pink fleshy material. A bit like cottage cheese, or it could be hard and cheddary. If you pack the wound with antibiotic cream that should kill off any remaining infection.

If it's kernel, it won't bleed. It will be white or yellow, not pink fleshy material. A bit like cottage cheese, or it could be hard and cheddary. If you pack the wound with antibiotic cream that should kill off any remaining infection.
We'll be changing it out again later tonight so we'll be sure to pack more cream in there then. Should I continue to put hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol on it to kill surface stuff immediately?

Back
Top Bottom