Bumble foot? Help me diagnose and treat!

Is it bumble foot??

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LunasPoultry

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
(picture below) Hello, I've been raising chickens for 7 years now and my oldest hen, who is also 7 years old, has recently been unable to stand on her own or walk very far without falling. So far I have:
-determined she does NOT have Marek's disease
-isolated her in a dog crate indoors
-treated her for a vitamin deficiency (not sure if this is the problem)
-taken her outside twice a day to help her walk
Her symptoms are as follows:
-unable to stand on her own
-can only walk short distances
-falls
-bruise on pad of foot (bumble foot)
Please help me figure out what to do. She is eating and drinking fine, still talkative and looks fine. I know shes up there in years but she is a family pet and culling her is not an option unless she was in pain and beyond recovery. Any advice is helpful! Thanks.
upload_2017-8-5_15-2-31.png

Her foot doesn't look too swollen from the bumblefoot so I don't think this is what is causing her to not walk.
Did you take the scab off of the foot pictured?

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the whole hen?
Did you remove the scab on the bottom of the foot - was there a kernel or pus under it?
Does the other foot have swelling?
How does the abdomen feel on your hen - do you notice any swelling, bloat, does her belly feel like it's fluid filled?

The foot all-in-all does not look too bad - you can soak it daily in epsom salts and apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the foot to see if it improves.

When was the last time she laid an egg? 7 yrs is somewhat an advanced age, so the foot may not be her primary problem. Internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors are common in laying hens. Any of these conditions can make a hen go lame, so these do need to be considered.

Once we get more information and photos, hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Can you post a photo of the whole hen?
Did you remove the scab on the bottom of the foot - was there a kernel or pus under it?
Does the other foot have swelling?
How does the abdomen feel on your hen - do you notice any swelling, bloat, does her belly feel like it's fluid filled?

The foot all-in-all does not look too bad - you can soak it daily in epsom salts and apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the foot to see if it improves.

When was the last time she laid an egg? 7 yrs is somewhat an advanced age, so the foot may not be her primary problem. Internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors are common in laying hens. Any of these conditions can make a hen go lame, so these do need to be considered.

Once we get more information and photos, hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

I have not tampered with the foot. She has not laid an egg in years, to my memory the last time she laid was three years ago.

It looks like a scab has been removed at some point.

If you can answer some of the other questions in the previous post, that would be helpful.

Here is our hen, seven years old. The scab had no pus or kernel. I felt around and her lower abdomen does feel a little soft and full, like a water balloon almost.
upload_2017-8-6_13-21-22.png

upload_2017-8-6_13-21-40.png

I felt around and her lower abdomen does feel a little soft and full, like a water balloon almost.

Buff Orpington? They are sweet girls.

If her abdomen feel like it has fluid in it - like a water balloon, then she most likely has an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Fluids from egg masses/egg matter can build up in the abdomen which can cause lameness (difficulty walking), going off feed, weight loss and sometimes runny poop that looks like it has egg in it. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to correct any of these conditions. Sometimes the fluid can be drained to make then hen more comfortable, but this is a short term fix. Giving her love and supportive care is what most people end up doing. Once they decline to a point of not eating/drinking, then euthanizing the hen is best for them, since they are suffering.

Back
Top Bottom