bumble foot in two week old chicks? got any pics or advise?

Capone

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Rhode Island
my two week old ee's seem to have a calus build up in the center of there feet. some of them peel off. i change there litter paper towels every day,so there not standing in manure all day. any ideas? the calus build up is like a lump

Last edited:
Patience is a virtue, especially when your question is not an emergency. 25min is not very long. If the material peels off, it is probably a mixture of poop and feed +/- some paper. Try getting them onto wood chips. You only have to keep them on paper for the first few days when they are figuring out how to eat & drink. If the material does not appear to peel off, try soaking the foot in warm water for a minute or two- it may come off then. True bumble foot takes awhile to show up- unlikely in multiple 2 week old birds- unless you have sharp objects in your brooder.

Hi Capone,
I'm a newbie, so I can't offer any advice. I did see this very interesting thread on Bumblefoot a while back.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649&p=1

Your babies are probably too young to have it though, from what i've heard.
Also thank you for the friendly welcome last week. You replied to my first post about the jelly eggs i was getting from my young pulets. Good luck, I hope your chicks are OK

Quote:
sorry didnt realize i was being impatient. ive just never seen these calus lumps on any of my other chicks in the past. so where should i post this thread?

Quote:
thanks for the thread emay. and again welcome. at least the bumble foot pics in the thread aer nothing like what i have so thats great

Back
Top Bottom