Bumble foot losing battle

Waite5flock

Chirping
Jun 15, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I feel like I’m losing the battle trying to treat bumble foot on this hen. I’ve soaked it in Epson salt and water and expressed and cleaned away any unusual looking tissue 3 times. Then re soaked and packed with a drawing salve and bandaged with vet wrap and a non stick gauze pad. But she gets so upset and huff and puffs and pants for a long time afterwards and during that I’m afraid I’ll lose her to stress.
The scab returns and I can’t tell if it’s a healthy scab or not but I decided to hope it was healthy and didn’t express it anymore. I’ve been soaking every couple days and rubbing a medicated salve into it then adding a large gob and re bandaging.
I thought she was getting better but she is still very tired and sleeps a lot more than the rest. And she also makes a coo/broody noise when she’s dozing. Not sure if it’s because she’s feeling is easy about sleeping in the run or if it’s something else. I can’t seem to upload a video so I attached her picture.
I called the vet today to see if they could help but it doesn’t look promising. The receptionist said she’d check with the vet tomorrow and get back to me. They might have an antibiotic cream to offer but that’s likely all.
Any advice from you all?? I added a pic of what the scab looks like now. Is it a healthy scab or still bumble?

Attachments

• 77F4DCF3-361E-46EC-A6F5-D1E8943BC214.jpeg
    77F4DCF3-361E-46EC-A6F5-D1E8943BC214.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 897E7DA4-7CF7-4858-B8B1-19A2C0FE6E5F.jpeg
    897E7DA4-7CF7-4858-B8B1-19A2C0FE6E5F.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
How many days have you been treating it for? What salve are you currently using to treat?
I’ve been treating it for about a week and a half. The salve I’m using is a medicated salve made by rawleighs. I’ll attach a pic. For the first week I was using Prid drawing salve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 13
I don’t currently. I am usually on my own when I’m working on her foot. But I am worried about her. I had them out free ranging this afternoon and she kept falling asleep. I didn’t want to bring her in again today because she already seemed tired and it’s really distressing to her to have her bandages changed. But maybe I should go get her right now.

I just unwrapped her foot. This is the scab that’s there. Is it a bumble scab or a healthy one? If it’s still infected what do I do now?

Attachments

• 404CAC75-0C56-4918-96CB-8057F65F4E55.jpeg
    404CAC75-0C56-4918-96CB-8057F65F4E55.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 12
I feel like I’m losing the battle trying to treat bumble foot on this hen. I’ve soaked it in Epson salt and water and expressed and cleaned away any unusual looking tissue 3 times. Then re soaked and packed with a drawing salve and bandaged with vet wrap and a non stick gauze pad. But she gets so upset and huff and puffs and pants for a long time afterwards and during that I’m afraid I’ll lose her to stress.
The scab returns and I can’t tell if it’s a healthy scab or not but I decided to hope it was healthy and didn’t express it anymore. I’ve been soaking every couple days and rubbing a medicated salve into it then adding a large gob and re bandaging.
I thought she was getting better but she is still very tired and sleeps a lot more than the rest. And she also makes a coo/broody noise when she’s dozing. Not sure if it’s because she’s feeling is easy about sleeping in the run or if it’s something else. I can’t seem to upload a video so I attached her picture.
I called the vet today to see if they could help but it doesn’t look promising. The receptionist said she’d check with the vet tomorrow and get back to me. They might have an antibiotic cream to offer but that’s likely all.
Any advice from you all??
in place of drawing salve, use neosporin, we have done this and it's worked

I would say she needs systemic antibiotics. Notice the redness around the scab means it's inflamed/infected.
Yep I would agree. I had a girl with bumblefoot like this over the summer. She required a vet visit to dig out all the infection, 7 days of antibiotics and salve (triple antibiotic ointment) and wrapping the foot. Took a bit but she is all better now and it is all gone.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom